EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-12, 08:12 PM   #31
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Do I see cathedral ceilings in the main wing of the manor? The house may be a little on the large side, but perhaps you don't have to heat the "storage" room. Overall, though, I really like the proposed floor plan. Open floor plans suit small houses.

You know those prefabricated sheds they sell at the hardware store? You can get a 150ft² shed for $1000, delivered. I look at those and I see a tiny house, ready to be superinsulated and furnished. There's room for a kitchen/living room, water closet, and sleeping loft. For the big spender, a 40' ISO container (320ft²!) goes for around $3000. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of straightening a crooked little house.

How big is the lot? Are you planning a garden, or an attached garage?

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 09:47 PM   #32
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Mr Smalls - good to hear from you.

Funny, you're the second person to mention a cathedral ceiling in the Great Room, except the first person was serious. I think he finds it a bit claustrophobic inside. Me, I don't mind the idea of a smaller volume to heat (clean, maintain...). Which is also why I had already decided to close that storage room in the winter as you suggested (it just needs a door).

I hear you on those big sheds/tiny pre-fab houses. I've spent a fair amount of time living aboard sailboats large & small - so the idea of being space-efficient doesn't faze me. This house feels pretty big by comparison.

The lot is a decent size: irregular ~60 x ~130. And it's waterfront! OK, it's "waterback"... there's a creek at the rear of the lot. It's kind of a ravine lot, so a good portion isn't exactly usable. But there's a good amount of plant life (brush, trees, raspberry bushes) on 2 sides (west & north), which is fantastic in the summer for shade & privacy. And less lawn to look after, which is a bonus.

Topo map:

No immediate plans for gardens or a garage. My workshop/garage lot is a liesurely ~8 minute bike ride from here, and I'm fine with that for now.

The neighbourhood compost pile is a funny story. Several of the "back yard neighbours" whose lots abut mine are avid gardeners (both flowers & veggies). They had been contributing to a big compost pile (mostly leaves & garden clippings) down in the N/W corner of the lot for years with the blessing of the former owner. They were a bit sheepish about it when I took over, but as I met them, I told them to carry on. I can't actually see the pile unless I walk back there, due to the steep slope. And it's really great to have somewhere to chuck compostable stuff. (Non-food stuff.) Most residents have to take their stuff to the city compost yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topo-map-features.gif
Views:	1557
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2195  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 10:01 PM   #33
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

The topo map also illustrates why the house settled in the direction it did - sunk at the right rear.

The bedrock is very close to the surface to the left of the house (which is why the bedroom/bathroom addition is solid & level). (There is actually exposed bedrock in the little garden in the nook between the bedroom & street).

Soil depth increases going from left to right and front to rear across the lot, along with the slope of the ground. Thus due to compaction (best guess), she's down in the right rear.

There are no houses across the road for the same reason: granite bedrock continues to rise up into a knoll about 7 or 8 feet above the road grade. Tough building.

It's also the reason the house wasn't connected to the city sanitary sewer: because there isn't one under the road out front. The road was blasted out of the bedrock, and they didn't bother trying to blast down far enough to add sewers. So my place & the one next door are on individual septic systems.

Old 03-15-12, 01:44 AM   #34
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
And it's waterfront! OK, it's "waterback"... there's a creek at the rear of the lot.
We're waiting for your DIY micro-hydro thread
Old 03-15-12, 09:45 AM   #35
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Micro! A dam building project sounds fun!

---

I also have to post this picture for a chuckle. This ad keeps coming up for me in this thread. Is Google trying to tell me something?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foundation-repair-ad.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2200  

Old 03-15-12, 10:06 AM   #36
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

They are getting better at being more topic specific in their ads. I actually look at some of them that address areas we discuss here.

{I too was thinking micro-hyro, but Piwoslaw beat me to bringing it up.}
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-12, 10:24 AM   #37
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Funny, you're the second person to mention a cathedral ceiling in the Great Room, except the first person was serious.
Hmm, perhaps the Good Room?

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to make use of that vertical real estate. The "second floor" might make a cozy sleeping loft, or a server cabinet, or a place to hang a bicycle. Maybe there are some household appliances that don't have to be accessed often that could go up there.

Anyway, good luck with the project, and keep us posted.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 07:36 AM   #38
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Just checking in to see(?) what's going on. We're still interested.......
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 09:19 AM   #39
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Haven't forgotten about this thread.

I've been sidetracked with yard work (and other projects) since spring arrived: had a few more big broken branches that needed cutting / removal. This week I'm planning to proactively thin out a few trees even more (Manitoba Maples a.k.a. Box Elder - fast growing weedy trees that aren't very strong, which makes for a bad combination when they get big).

I've also been cleaning up wild & weedy gardens in the front of the house to be a good neighbour. Spending time in the yard is a great way to meet the locals, and it's a warm & friendly neighbourhood.

Plus I've had a few non-crooked-house related projects that demanded my attention in the last few weeks. Wah, wah, wah. TMP! (Too Many $#&$^ Projects!)

I'm almost ready to get back inside and continue the deconstruction (next week or the week after). I'll post pics & updates.

Old 09-01-12, 10:13 AM   #40
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Darin, are you still there? I take it that you are in a renovation fury and don't have time to post?