EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-13, 02:34 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Pig Poop Helps Google Go Carbon Neutral

The article is a bit old, but still quite interesting. I don't see any reason (besides cost, yikes, 1.2 million!) that we wouldn't want to do more of this.

Also, the picture they used cracks me up.

Pig Poop Helps Google Go Carbon Neutral | Crisp Green

Quote:
The pilot project, which was constructed by Duke University and Duke Energy, is located at Loyd Ray Farms, a 9,000-head swine operation in northwest Yadkinville, N.C.

The system uses an anaerobic digester to capture greenhouse gases from hog waste. By burning the waste to run a turbine, the system produces enough electricity to power 35 homes for a year. It is expected to be able to prevent the release of greenhouse gases equivalent to nearly 5,000 metric tons of CO2 per year, which is like taking 900 cars off the road.
Just out of curiosity, I did some number crunching. I looked up how much energy the average US 35 homes would use. According to eia.gov it is 11,280 kWh per year for a single residential customer (940 kWh/month). Multiply by 35 homes gives us 394,800 kWh per year. This gives a 1st year cost of $3 per kWh. Not too attractive, but no 1st year cost would be for any power plant. So, I calculated how many years it would take (no assumed running costs because I have no idea) to bring the kWh cost down to the national average of $.12 is about 25 years. I wonder how that compares. I also find it hard to believe that an a anaerobic digester and small power plant really costs 1.2 million to build, but maybe I'm wrong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pig-waste.jpg
Views:	4520
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	3149  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 08:50 AM   #2
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Every sewage treatment plant and every animal farm and every landfill should have methane digesters and collectors! Not only would this gain a lot of lost energy, it would produce a lot of high quality fixed nitrogen fertilizer - which would then replace a lot (ALL?) of the chemical fertilizers that we currently make from natural gas.

Two problems solved with one solution. Actually at least THREE problems would be solved - the natural organic fertilizer would allow the soil to be built up, and we would then stop poisoning the groundwater and rivers - and the dead zones in the ocean could start to rebound.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:09 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Good point Neil. I didn't think about that.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote