EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-09, 09:03 AM   #1
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Apartment renter - new to site

I think it's great you guys have created a site like this.
I've avoided this site due to the fact that I rent an apartment, but I still think I can glean some good information from here.
The rest of my family live in homes, so I can always look for useful info. for them as well.
Thanks for creating this site. I have to give you guys major props for actually giving people the information they need to change the world in a better way, rather than just complain about it.

BTW : My user name at Ecomodder is Cd , but this site requires three characters, so I had to choose a new user name. I rent an apartment and do not have a home, so I chose Homeless.

Homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 06:46 PM   #2
Higgy
The Gardener

Hey there, welcome to the boards. Lots of information you could take from here even if you live in an apartment. Do you pay for utilities or is your apartment rent all bundled? If you do pay for utilities then there's probably a lot of things you could do around the apartment to help you save money (unless of course you already do them ).

Do you have a balcony? If so, do you face the south sun? If you do, there may be some gardening you could try out...even if it's just in one or 2 pots. A few fresh tomatoes in the summer/fall are always good to have. Or you could even play around with solar paneling if that peaks your interest. And then once you've mastered solar paneling you can teach me.

Good to have you here!
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 07:05 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

There are still things you can do in an apartment.
Low flow shower heads will cut your water usage 2.5 gpm (gallons per minute) is pretty common for new shower heads some I've seen go down to 1.6 gpm if they are over 10 years old they might not be restricted at all, also a valve right behind the shower head can cut the water so you can soap up and only use water when you need it.
compact florescent light bulbs can greatly reduce your electrical bill, if you can't afford to replace all your bulbs then just your 3-4 more used bulbs also pay attention to the color temp of them and pay attention to CF's that friends of yours might have that you like the color of light of.
cleaning the coils on the back side of your fridge will make your fridge work more affactively, last longer and lower your electric bill.
composting food scraps with worms in doors will cut down on land fill space and give you nice potting soil.
if you drink alot of tea a plug in electric water pot can heat water more directly then stove top, anything that heats or cools tend to use alot of power.
As far as electrical usage goes, get a kill-a-watt if you don't already have one, if you can't afford one ask at your liberay if they have ones to loan out.

There is alot you can do with an apartment.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:07 PM   #4
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

I wish I could install solar panels, but besides not being allowed, they would get stolen.
For now, I try and conserve as much as possible. On average, I use around 30 -35 Kw of electricity a month.
I'd like to cut that in half. The majority of the power draw comes from my dorm size frig* ( highly inefficient for it's size ( 96 - 120 Watts ) , but it uses less than a full size unit )
I cook using an electric burner which uses around 953 watts, so that's a lot of wasted power there.
My computer and external modem use around 36 watts when I am connected to the internet.
My power is the so called " 100 % wind " plan that my utility offers. ( which is a load of crap, but I have the hope that at least some of it ends up being green .)
Other than that, I also try and be mindful of the amount of water that I use. I try and recycle as much as I can, but find it hard, since the apartment only has bins for paper, aluminum cans ( no steel ) #1, and #2 plastics, and nothing for any of the other types of plastics / glass / etc.
I collect it for the long haul to the recycling center downtown ( very cumbersome when done on a bus )

If you know of any ways that I can use less electricity, or have any other tips, please let me know ! )

I have to pay a flat fee for gas and water ( divided amoungst all the residents .)

I have sort of have a balcony, but it is also a public pathway that gets used often. I made a small garden area, but the cats have been using it lately as a cat box.

(* Since I'm vegan, I can get by with a dorm size frig. You know ...because we just eat salads )
Old 03-15-09, 08:14 PM   #5
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

I have a Kill-a-Watt. There are great little toys aren't they ?
It's surprising how much electricity that some appliances will use.
For instance, I purchased a couple of 24" Lasko brand box fans and found out that they comsume over 100 watts on full speed.
I had one in each window ( one to blow and the other to exaust ).
No wonder my usage was so high that summer ! I might as well have just used the A/C !
Old 03-16-09, 07:16 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Its good to see another EMer around here.

Can you keep the garden area inside? Say, right behind some patio doors or larger windows? At my last place, we had a fairly good size garden for just having a very small balcony area. You just have to get a little creative with space use.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:51 PM   #7
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site. Its good to see another EMer around here.

Can you keep the garden area inside? Say, right behind some patio doors or larger windows? At my last place, we had a fairly good size garden for just having a very small balcony area. You just have to get a little creative with space use.
I don't have a patio . It just opens to a sidewalk in front of the window ( I'm on the 2nd floor )
I have a couple of plants inside, but I have to worry about light. In the summer time, I like to block my windows, since they get direct sun.