EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-17, 11:01 AM   #811
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have been eating salad every weekday for a few weeks now. I am about out of lettuce. I need to plant a new crop.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491234722645.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	7706  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 02:35 PM   #812
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I ordered a bug zapper for the greenhouse. I don’t think I will have to run this all the time.
But I don’t like bugs in the greenhouse so I will light them up.

This has big enough grid to let moths in and I don’t want them in the greenhouse.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BugKiller.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7710  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 04-07-17, 10:08 AM   #813
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

After I trenched and installed the natural gas line and the electrical conduit for the greenhouse everything worked great. Then the first really hard rain the breaker to the solar array tripped. That had never happened before. I flipped it back but told my wife that I had crossed the power line to the barn/solar and wondered if I nicked the power lines.

Four months later this still had not happened again. But two nights ago it rained very hard the greenhouse sent me an email saying the greenhouse had lost power at 4 am. When I got up in went out to the greenhouse. It had tripped the 240 GFCI and the outlet GFCI was smoking in the greenhouse. I flipped the breaker to the greenhouse. The solar array was not producing power.

I got out my meter and checked the voltage one leg was 120 the other leg was 85 volts not good. The solar array said grid was not stable so it would not produce power.

I went to the cut off solar switch and power was good there. It is fused so I checked those to make sure they were not dropping power. They were good.
I dig up where I crossed the barn power lines it took about 10’ along the conduit to find it.

Sure enough I had clipped the two 120 lines the one line was just barely and the other was so bad it broke in two when I grabbed it. I bought a splice from Home depot I use some heat shrink over this fix with silicone over the sealed ends. I took foam1"1/2 insulation put some under the fix. The grooved a 1’ piece so the wires would be separated. I put a second piece above the fixed pieces. I used a can of spray foam to isolate and seal up the fix.

I also bought a 120 15 amp GFCI breaker for the greenhouse for better protection.

We are back to having power to the greenhouse and solar array working fine again.

I had a doctor apt in the morning so I just turned off the breaker to the greenhouse and went to the doc.
I did not get to look at this issue until about noon. By 3pm I had everything back up and running.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 04-07-17 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-07-17, 11:50 AM   #814
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I had to take my wife to a doctor apt, yesterday during the Hard Rain. Pushed the button,
but the garage door wouldn't move.. "Echo, turn on Garage light" also failed..
So, I knew the GFI breaker turned off the GDOs..

Donned rain gear and checked out the garage GFI breaker and found it would pop after 15 seconds.
Strange.. Turned off the OutDoor lights switch and reset button stayed set..
So, water must have gotten into one of the outdoor light fixtures..?.
Later yesterday afternoon, everything was back to normal.. It was still raining.
Old 04-08-17, 08:07 AM   #815
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Both of you are smarter than electricity. In today's world, that says a lot. Cha Ching!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
creeky (04-08-17)
Old 04-09-17, 10:47 AM   #816
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

Opened up the camper yesterday. Breaker was tripped that runs the shed and outside lights/outlets. Turn off the switch for the light/outlets and doesn't trip. Narrowed down the problem is the furthers leg in the run. Underground conduit to a pole mounted outlet. No signs of water penetration but if I disconnect the hot line to just that branch everything is fine. UGH The only thing I can't do is dig up the conduit due to a neck injury. Not sure what to do. An extension cod will work for a temporary fix.
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 09:37 AM   #817
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The replanted garden is doing well. I have slugs I have killed a dozen of them.
They say put out a saucer of beer and they will drown I might try it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1491833144710.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	7735  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 04-21-17, 09:02 AM   #818
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The bug zapper is running 4 hours a night. It is killing moths and mosquito and other bugs.
It was a good add to the green house.
The plants are doing pretty good.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170421_090810.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	7751   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170421_090845.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	7752  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 04-21-17, 12:13 PM   #819
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I have slugs I have killed a dozen of them.
They say put out a saucer of beer and they will drown I might try it.
I recommend half a can, then drink the other half.
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 10:39 AM   #820
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My sump tank is buried in the ground about 5’. The tank is about 425 gallons this is about 3,544.5 pounds of water.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/44310-post44.html

We have had very hard rain for a couple days and some flooding in my area. I guess the water table is up and lifted the sump tank about 6 inches. Crazy it was able to lift all that much weight. It lifted the tank into the grow bed.
I have a pipe braces the pipe for the gravity feed. It raised that pipe and stopped the flow to the grow bed.

I put in an emergency overflow pipe that just goes back to the sump tank if the gravity feed pipe is closed off. I have now tested that emergency overflow and it works well it kept the fish tank from overflowing.

This tank has never moved at all the last two years.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170425_111253.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	7755  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 04-26-17 at 09:13 AM..