EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-12, 01:34 PM   #1
k-vette
Lurking Renovator

Default another ecomodder

Found this from the ecomodder forums. Doing well at stretching my car's mpg, now its time for the house!
Open to suggestions, here's my situation:

House is a rental, landlord doesn't have the funds for improvements, but the rent is cheap. She really doesn't stop by, so she won't notice changes.
Bill is typically 50-60 per month for electricity. Going to start with that.

- put in energy efficient bulbs when we moved in.
- have a fridge inside, and a freezer in a shed to buy bulk items.
- no dishwasher in the house, wish there was
- large electric water heater, placed outside where its cold...
- kill a watt meter is on the way from amazon
- ceiling fan, no ac, swamp cooler for summer
- propane heater and a wood stove. Heater is convenient, idk which one is more efficient.
- electric oil heater in bedroom, 600, 900, or 1500 watt settings. Other heat sources just don't get in there.
- dual pane windows, but house is really old with leaks around the doorways, one is a slider
- two computers, laptop and desktop, desktop stays off unless in use
- large air compressor, off unless in use
- well on property, probably a big energy sucker
- ditch water available for free (landlord pays for it, we currently don't use it)
- house is in a really shady area, little sun hits the house
- pretty much a regular bathroom, lights and separate fan with light. Small electric coil heater built into wall - what does this thing draw?!
- tv with small speaker system.
- electric stovetop and oven

Open to any suggestions on what I can do.

Right now the budget is tight. Between that and the fact that its a rental, I don't foresee any drastic changes to the house.

k-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 01:59 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-vette View Post
...Open to any suggestions on what I can do...
What kind of climate do you live in?

You can go to this website and find out what your heating degree days are and also cooling degree days.

You should get them as monthly values, averaged over time.

This info will improve the quality of the advice you get.

-AC_Hacker
Old 02-19-12, 12:12 AM   #3
k-vette
Lurking Renovator

Ok, looked at the link... I'm lost. What exactly is this for and what does it tell me? I put in airport code KAUN for the weather ID.
Old 02-19-12, 04:20 AM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Welcome to ER, k-vette

I'd seal up as many leaks as possible, as that gives the greatest gains for the least investment. Do you have an attic which could be insulated?

Quote:
- well on property, probably a big energy sucker
Could you turn the pump off (either a timer or flip the circuit breaker) at night and/or when no one is home?

Quote:
- large electric water heater, placed outside where its cold...
Now that is an energy hog! Get as much insulation on that thing as possible! Maybe you could get the lardlord to replace it with a smaller indoor unit? Either way this also qualifies for a timer if you use (or don't use) hot water at more or less regular times.

Maybe try to talk to the landlord about investing in efficiency. You could agree on a few cheap things that you would pay for and she could deduct 50% (or 20%, or whatever) from your rent for a few months. Tell her that it's easier to find potential renters when the house has reduced energy needs.
Old 02-19-12, 08:39 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site k-vette. It would definitely help to know your location so we know what kind of climate you're in.

Piwoslaw has some great suggestions and I would just like to emphasize sealing because its so cheap and has such a large impact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 03:08 PM   #6
k-vette
Lurking Renovator

I'm in Applegate, California. It's in the foothills of the sierra nevada mountains. Snows occasionally during the winter. It's in the mid 50s or 60s during the days right now. Low 30's at night. Summers are warm and dry, temps up to 100 or so.

Thanks for the suggestions. Getting the landlord to make changes is going to be a "no" right now. (Waiting for her to come through on new carpet, may be awhile)

I didn't think of a timer for certain devices. I like the idea, may be difficult with a newborn, didn't think to mention that!

How good of an insulator is bubblewrap? At work whenever I receive packages from the northeast wrapped in bubblewrap they're always freezing on the inside! I can get all the bubblewrap I want for free from work. Would this be a decent insulator for the water heater? Did I mention it's free?

Definitely can flip the pump switch off when I'm not home.
Old 02-19-12, 05:14 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

The well pump shouldn't really be an issue unless you have a water leak or something that is causing it to run excessively.

Perhaps you can get your landlord to pay for materials for some small things (ex: caulk, expanding foam, etc.). The materials are cheap and you reap the benefits on your utility bill and s/he now owns a more lucrative property.

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-19-12 at 05:23 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 03:48 PM   #8
k-vette
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Welcome to ER, k-vette

Do you have an attic which could be insulated?

There is a crawl space of sorts, but it's only above the kitchen and bathroom. Could I be losing some heat from there?
Old 02-22-12, 02:08 PM   #9
JAHG31
Lurking Renovator

K-Vette you're well on your way to having an energy efficient/eco friendly home. I agree with Piwoslaw comments. Sealing up any leaks will go a long way to help reducing your power consumption. Are the appliances energy efficient? Might be something to consider.

JAHG31 is offline   Reply With Quote