EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Forum News & Feedback
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-14, 11:50 PM   #1
jeff88
Lots of questions

Default List of Known Working Products

Had a thought...

On the EM site, we have the '65+ efficiency mods' and the '100+ hypermiling tips'. I was thinking it would be cool to have a list of known eco 'mods' and products for various house items.

There could be a water conservation section with low flow showerheads and other items. There could be a list of high efficiency water heaters, heat pumps and other appliances.

Under each item could be links to reviews from our members and links to known vendors (Amazon, ebay, etc.).

jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 08:05 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

We do have the 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips You can do Right Now - EcoRenovator. However, we don't have anything for specific product reviews really. Feel free to start one up though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 01-09-14 at 08:07 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 09:10 AM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default IR-Thermometer

OK, here's one of my favorites..

Shown with a penny for scale.

This is a cheap ($10) pocket-sized Infra Red Thermometer. This one came from Harbor Freight.

This has become an indispensable tool in my self-education into the realities of thermal energy (AKA: "heat").

You just point it at something you want to know the temperature of, and read the temp from the display. It has no laser beam... it's pretty simple.

The angle of acceptance is about 30 degrees, so you have to imagine a funnel of 30 degrees when you read. If you want to read a small area, you get close, a bigger area, get further away.

The beauty of this thing is that it is so cheap and small that it invites you to carry it around in your pocket on a regular basis. On a hot day, point it at the grass... then point it at the pavement. That's a lesson in the efffect of civilization. Then, on the same hot day, point it straight up at an open sky... what you will read will give you an unforgettable insight into our place in the universe.

Measure your coffee cup, your TV, your wife (but be careful what you say when you do it).

A few months back, I stepped on a nail and became concerned the next day and went to a doctor. He looked at my foot said it looked OK to him, then I pulled out the IR-thermometer and showed him the temperature of each foot, showing him that there was a 10 degree difference. "Wow, where did you get that", he said as he jumped up to write me a prescription for some robust anti-biotics.

There are more accurate IR-Thermometers, and ones that are very useful for finding specific leaks and cold spots, but there's nothing else as cheap and small and likely to be carried around and used casually and often in your daily life.

It's another set of eyes.

-AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR-thermometer.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	3857  
Old 02-10-14, 10:00 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Lets keep this going guys. Its a good idea.

The Niagara Conservation Earth 1.25 gpm, and 1.5 gpm showerheads have been used by multiple members here and always gets good reviews. Its also ridiculously cheap at under $10.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41DLKxpID1L.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	3990  

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-10-14 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-10-14, 10:11 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Here is one I have and I like to use it in the summer. Before I go off to work, I turn my window A/C unit on so it runs before it gets hot out to dehumidify a little.

Its a Belkin conserve socket. It is very simple in operation. There is a switch on the side that sets the time you want something to be on. There is a 30 minutes, 3 hours and 6 hours setting. Once you hit the button on top, that outlet is live for that period of time. After that, it switches off. There is no standby losses as it disconnects power completely. The light on top indicates if that the outlet is live.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51unuI7AlwL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	3991  

&
Old 03-18-14, 09:55 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Bumping for additional items.

&