Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-09, 09:56 AM   #1
james
Lurking Renovator

Default Hi from central NY

Hi
I live near ithaca NY in an off the grid earth bermed house. It is off the grid solar which forces energy efficiency on us. We have about 375 watts of generating capacity (full sun) from our panels, and are using 2 large L16 lead acid batteries given to us for free (don't hold much of a charge). We are using this to power a washing machine, computer, lights, radio, and sometimes freezer/fridge. we have a honda 1000 watt generator for nov, dec and jan.
Right now it is super cold out and I am trying to get the most out of our wood cook stove, using the least amount of wood. This means heating big pots of water and moving them around. Luckily I am only partially employed this time of year so I can easily do this. Also we are lucky to have a passive solar designed house, so when it is sunny the house really heats up. We had -11 last night!

In the works are an electric bike for transportation, to use some of the extra power generated in the summertime, bicycle generator, sealing of cracks, creating an outdoor air supply for the woodstove (so it doesnt suck cold air thru all of the cracks). I have two small kids, am trying to start a small farm/homestead, and have limited money, so all projects are slow to be completed. glad to have found this site from ecomodder/metrompg.

james is offline   Reply With Quote