EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-13, 03:38 PM   #1
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Default Deep cold well

Hey All,

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and decided that today's the day for my first post and my project update.

We bought a house around Christmas 2012. During the inspection I asked about a huge tank behind the boiler. The seller said the home was built with a well system but is now on city water. He then went on to say the well is around 200 feet deep and he could remember the drilling commenting on how much water the well produced (over 10g per min)

I bet you can guess why I'm reading this form?

I took a lot of pictures to tell my story.

The well is located under the drying machine. Who would put it such a hard place to service, I know someone who thought it would never be used again!

Well that sucks! Kinda hard to pull 200 feet of 1 inch PE pipe plus 50 lbs of stainless steel pump with 20mm clearance. Something must be done!!

Well done. I think you can see what I did here. It kinda straight and plumb.

Understanding wife Understanding wife A big hole in a new house, well technically is still in the garage....

Helpers The next weekend I got some help pulling the heavy apparatus up the well bore.

Whole package Whole package We added four sections of 100PSI rated 3/4 PE pipeing into the bore hole. You can see the 1 inch original PE tube and the two 3/4 inch lines plus the wire for the pump. Next time I pull, I'm going to add a safty line and bigger loop tubing or maybe two runs of 3/4 because I'm only getting about 3.5 gallons a min flow rate.

Test rig I had this contraption in my possession originally an 6000btu window shaker.

Hope the pictures work
akbrant

Last edited by akbrant; 05-23-13 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Fixed up links to pictures
akbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 03:56 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site akbrant! Sounds like a very interesting project. You will need a few more posts before you can post images, you can just make a few quick ones of whatever. Its just a way to keep spammers away. We would be very interested in seeing what you have done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 04:01 PM   #3
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Raspberry PI
with 1-wire monitoring system

I had a raspberry pi and 1-wire temperature sensors on hand I hooked them up.

Using a few links I found how to install the 1-wire modules write a simple pearl script to log reading each minute and build a simple web page with graphs and real time data.

I have five sensors hooked up to measure water entering the ground, water coming from the ground, Garage air temp, Garage floor temp also well dump temp, Compressor temp.

I also did the math to figure out watts power based on flow rate heath exchange and coolant weight.

Last edited by akbrant; 05-23-13 at 01:47 PM..
Old 05-22-13, 05:22 PM   #4
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Default heat transfer test

I've been attempting heat transfer test following the post AC hacker made in the Heat pump manifesto page 2. With a few differences. I using a 6000btu window air conditioner for the heat source. So slope went down instead of up like AC hackers because I'm cooling the ground not heating it.

I got my graphs to look close to Ac_hackers and did the calculator heat load of circulator (1.4A) plus window AC (3.4A) as the power input.

Up popped a value of 2.5 tons for my well, great I thought but....

I notice when I change the slop of the trend line it had no affect! Strange.. I even drastically changed AC hackers slope in his Line Source Model_01.xls and the Length din't change. No idea here maybe my excel is muffed up. Someone please download Line Source Model_01.xls as see when they change the slope if changes the length of tube.
Old 05-22-13, 05:38 PM   #5
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Default The new 1Ton rig

I got a great deal on a 1 Ton 120v mobile AC. It runs r410a..... well it use to until I let all the magic air out of it! I was up late one night trying to do the super copper bend so I could stuff the evaporator into the coolant bath when poof the tubing broke.

My question here is will auto 135a work in a r410a system? I've been looking for a while no direct answers other then newer AC system uses r410a because its more efficient. Really? No one cares that my truck uses the less efficient 135a?

Before hack job...

After the magic left...
Old 05-22-13, 05:41 PM   #6
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Link to Raspberry PI with sensors hooked up.

Can I post yet?
Old 05-22-13, 05:42 PM   #7
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Link to Pi again.
Old 05-22-13, 05:45 PM   #8
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Ok this now I've not over five posts.

Here is the link to my charts and real time data running a Raspberry pi.

I turned the heat pump off this morning to let the well water rebound. No idea why water coming out of the well is still 1.8 F warmer then water going to well. Maybe my sensors need better insulation?

Last edited by akbrant; 05-23-13 at 06:43 PM..
Old 05-23-13, 12:41 PM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Your images still aren't showing. I'm not sure you can link to things from google docs. You can upload your images to the forum if you need to.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 06:15 PM   #10
akbrant
Lurking Renovator

Default Fittings used in refrigeration??

Can some one point me to a reference which explains the different fittings and what they are call and used in witch systems? I keep ordering stuff that doesn't screw together.

For example I bought a can top so I could suck r134a but it does not fix my new r410a gauge set.

This guys has the same issue:

"Actually, I was expecting something with a 1/4 inch fitting. My charging hose does not fit this tap. I suggest the size be mentioned in the specification. However, it is not worth returning for the cost of shipping. I'll see if I can find an adapter so I can use my charging hose."

Last edited by akbrant; 05-23-13 at 06:44 PM..

Tags
well water