Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-14-13, 12:04 AM   #31
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
He wasn't using the compression fitting to seal in refrigerant. He used it to seal the water so it doesn't leak from around the tubes.
Look again.

-AC

Old 10-14-13, 07:03 AM   #32
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Can't really tell from the photos. The tubing isn't discolored at the fittings, though. Either the tubing is solid through the tank fittings (i'm assuming) and compression fittings hold in water, or there is a break in the piping at each fitting (I'm hoping not) and the compression fittings hold in refrigerant and water. Only HV23t knows for sure.

Whether or not it was done that way this time, this is far too common an amateur mistake! High pressure lines like refrigerant and hydraulic lines do not act like a garden hose! You can't just use a barb fitting or a zip tie on them, they must have high pressure fittings and be crimped, flared or brazed/welded together. Pipe fittings won't work either, they must not have tapered threads. Teflon tape or pipe dope cannot hold back the pressure forever, either.

Quick-disconnect type fittings may or may not develop leaks right away, but if the connections are vibrated or moved, it can be assumed with certainty that they will eventually leak (this happens commonly in cars: brake and a/c lines and fittings are replaced during routine maintenance as cheap insurance against repeated failure).

As with any homemade design, you are better off over-building your contraption the first time through to eliminate Murphy's Law from having its way with your creation. If you err in your judgement, it will be revealed to you sooner or later. Trial and error is how many machines are perfected after the architects are done dreaming. Real-world results always beat blueprints and simulations.

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-14-13 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-13, 07:11 PM   #33
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default another hot water tank heat pump

Well so far so good. I wound a tighter more neat cork-screw type HX. The copper cork-screw was wound into the threaded bung hole. It proved to be a little on the difficult side but the end product was good. It is a neatly placed HX in the bottom of the tank where it will perform the best. It required an extra manipulation through the top threaded holes to keep the coil from walking up the inside of the tank. With a flashlight in one hole steel rod in another and an eye looking down the third I managed to keep it where it needed to be. Tomorrow we'll braze up the Hacked air-conditioner fill the tank with water and see how it will function.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2451.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3541   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2452.jpg
Views:	1547
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	3542   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2454.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	3543   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2455.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	3544   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2459.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	3545  

Last edited by Daox; 10-26-13 at 11:14 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-28-13)
Old 10-26-13, 12:27 AM   #34
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
...I wound a tighter more neat cork-screw type HX...
Interesting new approach!

-AC
Old 10-26-13, 07:39 AM   #35
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

AHA! So that's how you get a golf ball through a garden hose!

Seriously though, you are a wizard. It had to have taken lots of patience and skill to fit up. Much better than the junk they throw together on the discovery channel. Much more like 'Norm Abrams' style. It should live longer than the water heater.

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-26-13 at 07:52 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 11:42 AM   #36
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

The unit is up and running. Its using 5.4A at 110V so about 590W. Temperature start was 12 Deg C @11:30 am looking for 45 Deg C The tank is 175L . The Copper Cork-screw HX is working extremely well Temp in 58 Deg C out is 20 Deg C. So far no frost problem. Propane is the refrigerant of choice.

Randen
Old 10-26-13, 02:43 PM   #37
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

That amperage is a little high for a 5000 BTU unit at the condensing temperature you indicate. What are your high and low pressures and suction line temperature?

BTW, since the load on the fan motor is now about half, you might find that switching it to low would use less power but not slow down the fan by much. In that case, leaving it set to low would likely improve overall efficiency. Also, if you cut away part of the foam insulation so that it discharges air from both sides, efficiency is also very likely to improve. Also insulate the compressor and discharge line to avoid unwanted heat loss, just make sure the discharge line temperature stays below 90C or so.
Old 10-26-13, 04:41 PM   #38
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Well 4.5 hrs in we hit 41 Deg C. As I only brazed on a low side schaider for the fill and very quickly put a charge of propane in, Yes its drawing a little more current than it should. The compressor hadn't run for a number of months so it started drawing about 6.7A on the first half hr. on start-up. Tomorrow we'll start again this time looking at the charge and current draw vs. temp

All looks really good!!

Randen
Old 10-26-13, 05:23 PM   #39
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

It's probably overcharged. Without a high side reading, you won't know how much subcooling you're getting. Also, trying to pull a vacuum through the expansion valve won't work.
Old 10-26-13, 08:30 PM   #40
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

NiHaoMike

Mike the unit is indeed over-charged but there are no leaks in either the water side or refrigerant side. The sizing of the 22' x 5/16 of copper cork-screw HX seems more than adequate. Its such a small unit and it took just a crack to charge and it hadn't been run for such a long time. The cold oil was causing some problems. Now that everything is flowing we can adjust the charge more accurately. The unit is such a small inexpensive unit a TXV was not in the formula, it sports a cap. tube. I would think after 1/2 hr. the vacuum should have worked nicely with the cap. tube.

The tank temp rose to 53 Deg C. Nice. Tomorrow after it cools we will adjust the charge and run it again. With the spare time while watching the tanks performance I will start the copper work for the solar collector in the "solar heat for the shop"

Randen

Last edited by randen; 10-26-13 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: punctuation