EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-04-11, 09:36 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Window whole house fan

Normally, I stick a cheap box fan in my upstairs windows at night to pull air through the house. It works alright, but I don't think those cheap fans are real efficient at all and they don't blow a TON of air like a whole house fan, plus sealing them in a window is a pain. So, tonight I was looking for a bit more refined product that is more efficient, and one that seals up better in the window. What I found was a bit surprising, Air King makes a whole house window fan. The specifications look great, power draw isn't bad at all, CFM is high. It is louder than a good quality whole house fan, but thats not a huge concern of mine, especially considering the price of it vs a whole house fan.

I am curious if anyone has ever tried one of these out, or knows of the company or any others that make similar products.

Air King 9166 20" 3560 CFM 3-Speed Whole House Window Fan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 06-05-11 at 06:15 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 01:46 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
...Air King makes a whole house window fan...
The write-ups sound pretty good...

One reviewer on the linked site said:

Quote:
...AND MUST GET UP AT THREE OR FOUR IN THE AM TO SHUT IT OFF DUE TO THE NOISE AND SOMETIMES THE CHILL...
I don't know if you saw my write-up on how I built a thermostat-controller for my heat pump, but it works great, and if the thermostat is bought in a thrift store, is cheaper and easier to build than an Arduino controller (nothing against Arduino controllers, mind you). You'll still need a relay.

Here's one I found this week, that will turn on and off a heating and a cooling cycle (in your case, a fan). I got this one for $2.99 at Goodwill.

"...MUST GET UP AT THREE OR FOUR IN THE AM..."

The very idea!

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostat-controller.jpg
Views:	4320
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1538  
Old 06-07-11, 03:54 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, I saw that the reviews were quite good for the fan on amazon. Just looking for more info and letting people know that they are out there. I had no idea until the other day. Its really expensive for a box fan, but really cheap for a whole house fan.

A thermostat control would probably be a nice idea. It would be even cooler if it adjusted fan speed.

&
Old 06-07-11, 08:55 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
It would be even cooler if it adjusted fan speed.
Now you're talking ECM...

I'm checking out a small chip that is used for controlling 4-wire computer fans, to see if it has potential to be used for controlling larger fans.

I'm looking into it with the idea of using it to control fans in a DIY HRV box. It can read it's own temperature or a remote temp sensor. I think it's temp range is a bit high for your use, but if you used a remote temp sensor, it's results could be skewed to fit your comfort range.

I'm thinking that the chip's control output could be used to drive a power transistor.

There may be an easier way to do this but I don't know what that might be yet.

-AC_Hacker
Old 07-07-11, 01:32 AM   #5
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Today I took 2 sunbeam 20" box fans stacked them on each other then used some pine boards to hold them in place and add some tabs to fit in the window frame.

I don't know how much air they're moving but with all the windows and doors closed but them turned on and venting I can feel with a moist hand drafts pulling through a few problem areas in door seals and near the sill plates so they are creating a fairly good vacuum. When I open a window in a bedroom you get a very good breeze moving through and it only takes 10 or so minutes to empty the room of hot air. After a little googling apparently they each move 129.6 M3/Min at HIGH SPEED. which if I believe google is 4590 cf/min so lets just say 9000 cubic feet/minute. in a perfect world I should be able to completely change the air over in my house every few minutes with these. It's not working out that way though as the air seems to form currents and dead zones that stay hot for a little bit.

According to the kill a watt combined they are taking 164 watts on high. I'm sure that beats the heatpump by a lot.

They look just like this one Sunbeam 20" box fan - 31554 - Walmart Canada - Save Money Live Better. except are white.

Total cost was $50 plus some scrap lumber and screws.

I'll have to remember to do some smoke tests to find a seal leaks before the warm weather is gone and these guys go under the stairs.

Last edited by strider3700; 07-07-11 at 02:15 AM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 07:58 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Got any pictures of your setup?

When I've been using my box fan, I normally stuff a pillow in the window next to it to seal things up better. I definitely wouldn't mind some ideas on how to make a better setup.

&
Old 07-07-11, 10:08 AM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

The original plan was to build a box and skin that with some thin ply to make it somewhat sealed but the fan's are within a 1/4" top to bottom so there was no space. even with the gaps in the corner it pulls really well.
Old 07-07-11, 10:30 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

It looks like you have the screen removed? I do this on mine and find it really helps.

&
Old 07-07-11, 10:46 AM   #9
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

nope screen is in place. It's a brutal year for mosquito's so I won't be moving it
Old 07-08-11, 10:56 AM   #10
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

To close some more of the gaps look for Poly Foam Window A/C Seal and cut it to size and shove it in the gaps the stuff runs $5-7 and will be more than enough.

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote