EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-14, 12:36 PM   #1
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default My DIY cellulose wall dense pack experience

I had been planning this update to my house for a long time so now that the dense packing is done I thought I'd relate my thoughts and experience about it. I had a terrible time finding local outfits that had the cellulose blowers that I needed to rent or that had any expertise whatsoever. I called all the intown lumber yards and they didn't even have cellulose, much less a rental blower available. The next closest businesses were 45 minutes away and I called them and they didn't even know what I was talking about. The hardest part about these conversations is that the people I was talking to didn't know that they didn't know, so I kept getting non-useful suggestions from them instead of them admitting that they didn't know. Often these conversations would take 20 minutes before they would finally capitulate that fact. Very exasperating.

At one point I gave up and decided to contract it out. I called all the local insulation contractors only to find out that none of them, and I mean none, would do it the way I wanted. I had put up Insulweb netting on the inside walls of the perimeter of the house so I could see how the walls were filling. This is really the best way to quality check that you are not skimping on areas. All the contractors refused to work with me on that method and would only do it if I put up drywall first and they would pump it in from holes on the exterior walls. You just can't get the job done as good that way. My house has diagonal stud bracing on the corners and hidden headers where old windows installation have been covered up and it would have played havoc
with any blowing. I'm sure other older houses have the same issues.

Finally I decided to called the distributor of the largest blower manufacturer, Intec, and he was very helpful. He told me which rental models had the power to do what I needed, (Cyclone, Wasp, and Force 1-3 blowers), and the nearest places that had them. It turns out that one of the lumber yards I'd called that was 45 minutes away DID have the needed blowers, 3 of them, and they actually knew what they were doing. The person on the phone just wasn't in the correct department and did not know that he wasn't in the correct department or which department was the correct one. So if any of you out there planning to do this job do yourself a favor and call the blower distributor and find out if anything is available for rental in your area before you do anything. I ended up being lucky to have it available locally and as people say, it's often better to be lucky than good.

Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exeric For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (05-22-14)