EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-11-12, 02:09 PM   #231
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

Mikesolar,

Indeed, given enough coroplast the efficiency might be high enough.
When just rotating whole plates 90 degrees you'll have surfaces that are not totaly flat pressed against eachother thus making a lousy contact with eachother. Not only will you have a double amount of coroplast between the cold and warm airstreams, they are separated with a thin layer of insulating air, this is not ideal.

A while back I wondered why use coroplast at all? To me plastics aren't known for their great transfer of heat. But of course if it's a thin sheet with a large surface this is hardly a problem.
Actual numbers: Coroplast 0.20W/m*K, Aluminum 237W/m*K
I found a study where a HRV is build and tested with Coroplast, along with calculations.
I replaced the value for coroplast with the one for aluminum in one of the formulas for -that- heatexchanger-core and the result changed from 12.7 W/m2*K to 13.2 W/m2*K, which is only about 4% higher for aluminum (if used in -that- specific HX).
Link: http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/user...0Exchanger.pdf

Last edited by Fornax; 12-13-12 at 03:24 AM..
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 02:54 PM   #232
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

I just checked my email,

The aluminium plates I ordered are send and supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

I ordered 72 plates of 25x50cm (say 10x20 inches), 0.8mm thickness which is, erm, <grabs calculator> 0.03125 inch or exactly 1/32".

The HX-core will be 30 centimeters thick. Using 72 sheets that will separate them by 3.4mm (4.3/32"). So the dimensions will be 25X50X30cm (10x20x15").

When these arive (in good shape) I'll order the 2 fans to be used.
I work in shifts, I plan on starting the build in my next weekend which is about a week from now, I'll be sure to take pictures.

Update, the next day:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912xs.JPG
Views:	1469
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913xs.JPG
Views:	1596
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2731

Last edited by Fornax; 12-13-12 at 03:28 AM..
Old 12-11-12, 03:55 PM   #233
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Ooooo, this project will be fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
When these arive (in good shape) I'll order the 2 fans to be used.
I think I recall reading that using ECM squirrel cage motors is the most efficient and quietest solution, though not the cheapest. Not sure what kind of airflow you will be needing, but maybe some cheap 140mm computer fans would work for testing?
Old 12-13-12, 05:35 AM   #234
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

I'll be needing 2 fans and I have some demands.
They need to be:
- available to me
- somewhat affordable
- able to move the right amount of air
- be reasonably silent while doing that
- economical on energy use.

Airflow in the lowest setting will be around 50-75 m^3/hr (30-44CFM) depending on the resistance in the ducting, filters and HX. I asume this resistance will be quite low. In the middle setting airflow will be up to 150 m^3/hr (88CFM).

With those airvolumes you are in the range of wholehouse ventilators where most types are fairly large, have multiple connections and cost from 200-450 euros. I did find a smaller and cheaper one with only 1 in- and outtake, perfect for me.

It's the Comair Solo 44Y which is of course 230 volt for us in Europe.
Specsheet of the series (in dutch) is at http://www.ventilair.nl/Repository/S...20811A4web.pdf

Specs:

As you can see in the lowest setting it is stated to use around 8W (times 2) which is conveniently low.
Our current wholehouse ventilator is using around 40W, replacing it with the HRV using about half of that will safe me 40 euros on electricity a year alone.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOLO44Y_tech.JPG
Views:	3914
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	2732   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLO44Y_debiet.JPG
Views:	3395
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	2733  
Old 12-13-12, 07:14 AM   #235
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Panasonic Whispergreen bathroom fans are the most energy efficient ways of moving air as long as you are okay with the form factor of the air collector. All sorts of CFM settings and they adjust themselves to speed up to blow the right CFM under pressure.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 09:12 AM   #236
kostas
Helper EcoRenovator

@ Fornax I'm going to use the Nicotra direct driven motors for my project. Most HRV producers use Nicotra's motors in Europe (at least that's what I was told).
The DDM 120/126 model has a 45W consumption and gives over 400 qm/h at 100Pa
That's more than enough for a 100sqm house.
Have a look:
nicotra-gebhardt.com/front_content.php?idart=106]Catalogues
Maybe you can find a local dealer in the Netherlands, too.

(edit)
Here it is:
NETHERLANDS
Rucon Ventilatoren B.V.
Postbus 263
3840 AG Harderwijk (Netherlands)
Phone 0031 341 439-100
Fax 0031 341 439-190
E-mail verkoop@rucon.nl
wwwrucon.nl

Last edited by kostas; 12-13-12 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: added info
kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 12:22 PM   #237
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

I already ordered the fans I mentioned.

MN Renovator, those Panasonic fans look good indeed and several models on amazon are reasonably priced.

Kostas, that DDM120/126 is rated for a high capacity, more than I need, but did you notice it will make a noise of at least 61dB in the 'low' setting? If the noise is acceptable depends on your situation but for me it would not.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DDM120126.JPG
Views:	4024
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2734  

Last edited by Fornax; 12-13-12 at 12:41 PM..
Old 12-14-12, 02:59 AM   #238
kostas
Helper EcoRenovator

Fornax, yes I noticed that, I don't think that this is an issue as I won't need 380 qm/h but only the half of it in daily basis. Also noise insulated ducts will help.
The problem is the price, over €170 each!
kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 10:24 AM   #239
TimSmall
Geek about the house

I see you can buy some EBM Papst DV6424/2TDP fans used from Sun rack-mount computers for around 25 euros. You'll need to supply them with 24v DC. These are mixed flow (i.e. hybrid axial / centrifugal fans). They seem to be a custom high-power version for Sun (either 80w, or 110w depending on model), but are easily PWM controlled. At 40w, the fan curve looks like the below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7105-GRAFIK-GR.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2738  
TimSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 11:41 AM   #240
Student 07
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Looking for solution

Hi,
I have heard that Fantech also makes some very good (quiet) fans. Insulation will definitely help reduce noise, but I think TimSmall may be on to something: If you could use PWM to control the speed- a variable speed motor could easily be adjusted to an acceptable level that meets both noise and efficiency requirements. A lot of the noise will depend on the design of the system; large insulated ducts allow more flow at less noise.
I really like the idea of using aluminum plates, they should increase efficiency.

I still have a problem with HRVs. Even at 80% efficiency you are venting warm air and replacing it with cooler air. If the house is at 68*F you would be venting that air and replacing it with 61*F air. You would be cooling your house in the winter.
In link #163 Piwoslaw drew a picture of what I think would be the solution. Some people may say that the HP would use more energy than the HRV alone; however, when you have 61*F air coming into the house something is required to bring that air up to 68* to keep the house warm, either your central heating system or a small auxiliary heater. A small heat pump IMHO would be the best auxiliary heater.
I have some concerns about combining the HRV with a HP (which would be a hacked dehumidifier or AC unit): most HRV are rated at 150-350CFM while an Air Source Heat pump requires a lot of air. My 4 1/2 ton unit flows about 3500CFM. If I design it to make the HRV more efficient (small gap between plates) then the HP won't get much air flow, and if the plates of the HRV are spaced farther apart to increase flow for the HP, then the HRV is less efficient. I read an article on Build it Solar about DIY HRVs and it states that the airflow should be slow to increase heat transfer. Which is the opposite of what a HP needs I suppose there would have to be a compromise between what they need. Does anybody know how much a small (say 1 ton) dehumidifier flows- CFM?
Every time I think about needing a HRV I come back to this, eventually I will have to make it.

Student 07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erv, heat recovery, hrv