EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-18, 08:07 AM   #61
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This project took just over 30 days to order get the wrong unit with some damage have a new one shipped and do a self-install with it.

Have trenching done with more rain than we have had in a very long time.
While working full time job that I put a big project into production during this time. Wow talk about a lot going on.

I do not like to have such hard deadline on a project but I did not realize the state 25% tax credit was ending.

I was going out to work on the project at 6 am until 9-9:30 then switch hats and start my other job.
Then 5 pm go out with the tractor and work until 10 pm (I don’t want my neighbors to hate me). Then switch hats and work until 2-3 am.

I worked under the house a couple nights until 12:30 pm.

As with all hard work when it is done it is done you just move on.

I am very thankful to be able to take on this project and finish on time.
I am also thankful that we were in a position to do this project.
I am glad wife has faith in me to spend large amount of money and know we will have a successfully project in the end.

Yes, the whirlwind is winding down and I am like wow it is done and
we just heated our house on a 40-degree night with 10 Kw nice…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-01-19 at 11:00 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
geoheatnz (02-21-19)
Old 01-01-19, 04:50 AM   #62
stevehull
Steve Hull

Super ecorenovator job.

What this site has encouraged me (and you in particular) is when you decide to do a project (your PV system, greenhouse install, now geo system etc.). You jump in 100% and do not stop until it is done. This project put you to the test with an absolute deadline (for rebate), unexpected equipment return, 9-5 regular work, some unanticipated hefty purchases and some outsourcing labor ($).

Too often, I (many of us?) start a project and forget to adequately allocate time and labor to complete it. I (we?) keep thinking I am in my 20's and in perfect health with little distracting family and other obligations.

So I applaud your gotta get it done, let's hire out" that which, yes I could do this, but it can be done quicker/faster.

My "excuse" is that I am so damn picky about the quality of the outsourced finished job and their slow progress. Gotta get over that.

I also used to get critiqued while in graduate engineering school for my in house engineering projections, vs actual build issues and there are many within project build (encroachments, finding other preexisting infrastructure, suppliers promising materials, weather, etc). My perspective was technically correct, but I did not include the infamous "human factor" and other on project delays.

I guess my zebra stripes don't change! What I did do well was planning out all the specific details and that minimizes within project major changes. You and I share this planning perspective.

I love your rational age appropriate involvement with your kids -Saturn rebuild, working on other projects, etc.

Lastly, have a great 2019 and do I dare ask what project is next?

Onward!

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 01-01-19 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: clarity
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 11:08 AM   #63
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks Steve.

The condensate line is done. The Geo unit is sitting on anti-vibration pads.
Yesterday I connected up my Desuperheater it worked last night and this morning I insulated the lines under the house.

I need to insulate the lines in the garage. I am done except getting the yard into shape.

The desuperheater ran last night and when I took a shower the water going into my tankless heater was 92 degrees.
When I was done it was 65 degrees the washer was running at the same time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190101_084643.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	8474  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 01-03-19, 09:03 AM   #64
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The outside temp has been mild since I connected up the hot water Desuperheater. Today I was showering and the incoming temp was 97 degrees when I was done the incoming temp was still 97 degrees. My hot water tankless heater only needed to raise the water temp 23 degrees this will save some money.
Nice…

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190103_094442.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	8475  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-03-19 at 02:41 PM..
Old 01-04-19, 09:00 AM   #65
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My hot water recirculating pump loops through my tankless water heater.
I think I need to change it to loop through my buffer tank.

I have 50 gallons preheated water but the hot water recirculating pump is looping cold water and running the heater more than it needs to run.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 01-07-19, 07:32 AM   #66
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pinball,

How did you decide on the size (volume) of the desuperheater tank? If you get 97 F water now, imagine how hot it will be in the summer.

I am in the middle of a house remodel and adding the desuperheater pump, tank and plumbing to the existing geothermal heat pump.

I scrounge "scratch and dent" electric water heaters and and I can get a 40 gallon or 80 gallon tank. The efficiency of heating water when colder (bigger tank), is far higher that pushing more BTUs into a hot (smaller) tank.

Adding a desuperheater tank markedly improves the SEER (summer) and minimally impacts the COP (winter). As far as I can tell, with a desuperheater, you heat water with a COP (winter) at about 2.0 - 2.5, far better than resistance heat at 1.

Thoughts?

Steve
Old 01-07-19, 07:55 AM   #67
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It was not very scientific I looked what the experts on the geoexchange.org/forum/ recommended. 50 gallons seemed to be to most recommended model. For a system my size 3 ton.

I wanted a tank that had would last a long time and have very low stand by loses. If you watch Facebook mark place you can find a marathon hot water heater where someone is moving or had one replaced under warranty.

I could have gotten one with a bad element much cheaper but I had the tax credit. If I bought a used standard one would have build an insulated box to keep the standby loses down.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-08-19 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-08-19, 11:25 AM   #68
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I checked the water temp into my hot water heater it was 105 before shower then 102 after my shower.
My understanding is that it makes the hot water at COP mine is about 4.7-50

I bought a pressure gauge so I can tell the water flow through the Geo unit. I have an old digital grill thermometer so I should be all set.
My two-way thermostat already tells me the water entering and leaving EWT LWT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190108_095559.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	8476  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-09-19 at 07:57 PM..
Old 01-14-19, 08:43 AM   #69
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It has been colder here and Saturday was the first time I showered and the hot water tank never came on.

We keep our hot water set to 120 degrees.

I have the trenches covered back up. I put the land planer to work.

I am going to get some top soil if it dries out long enough to get it hulled in.

The two plies of red clay will be moved to the back of my property for a shooting range.
I will rent a dump trailer and use my tractor to load it and move it to the back of my property.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190113_083229.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	8478   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190112_120928.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	8479  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-14-19 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-16-19, 08:42 PM   #70
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Some more free energy design software
Energy Design Tools
I have not used this software yet be read a DIY project that used it a said it was good.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -