EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-20, 05:10 AM   #181
bubbleboba
Lurking Renovator

off grid is something that I would love to do. However, I dont think I could ever do it, as I have a large family. Maybe I could get my consumption down a bit though

bubbleboba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 06:58 AM   #182
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboba View Post
off grid is something that I would love to do. However, I dont think I could ever do it, as I have a large family. Maybe I could get my consumption down a bit though
Off grid is not ideal if you don't have to. The best solution is to have an intertie/backup system where the batteries are kept charged by the grid and they don't cycle up and down on a daily basis. Batteries are rated on cycles, how often they get charged and discharged.The intertie sells your excess back to the grid, it's really the best solution.

When the grid goes down you have battery backup and when the grid is up you sell your excess production back to the grid.

This way your batteries last much longer and you still get a benefit from your system.
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 08:11 PM   #183
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
Off grid is not ideal if you don't have to. The best solution is to have an intertie/backup system where the batteries are kept charged by the grid and they don't cycle up and down on a daily basis. Batteries are rated on cycles, how often they get charged and discharged.The intertie sells your excess back to the grid, it's really the best solution.

When the grid goes down you have battery backup and when the grid is up you sell your excess production back to the grid.

This way your batteries last much longer and you still get a benefit from your system.
Good quality batteries are rated to last thousands of complete cycles nowadays, even more for partial cycles. If you don't use them, they'll eventually die of old age.

Selling to the grid is not a good option in some places.
Old 09-05-20, 06:39 AM   #184
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Good quality batteries are rated to last thousands of complete cycles nowadays, even more for partial cycles. If you don't use them, they'll eventually die of old age.

Selling to the grid is not a good option in some places.
The best current battery for backup is LiFePo4. They generally last about 2k to 2.5k cycles. If you cycle those batteries 50% everyday they will last ~7 years. It's your choice but they are expensive.

If you sell everything back to the grid after all your own demands are met you will effectively be using the grid in place of your batteries for decades. Think about it, your PV still runs your house but your batteries aren't taxed until the need arises.(grid failures)

The only time complete off grid works is if you live so far from the grid that you can't get grid power or that the expense to bring grid power to your house is extremely costly.
Old 09-05-20, 09:30 AM   #185
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Or

The Grid will not allow a connection. I had applied 3 times with descending solar outputs 10kw, 6kw, and 2kw

Sorry in-eligible!! due to power constraints. Micro fit or net meter. DENIED

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 09:59 AM   #186
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Or

The Grid will not allow a connection. I had applied 3 times with descending solar outputs 10kw, 6kw, and 2kw

Sorry in-eligible!! due to power constraints. Micro fit or net meter. DENIED

Randen
The grid or your provider? Is it a technical problem or a political one?
Old 09-08-20, 04:22 PM   #187
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Robaroni

Its my electric supplier (Hydro-one) and political. The supplier is claiming too many Micro-fit programs with cause an unsafe condition for the power lines. You and I both know that 10 Kw will be used by myself and my neighbour without any problem with the grid. To them its lost revenue

Randen
Old 09-09-20, 06:05 AM   #188
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Robaroni

Its my electric supplier (Hydro-one) and political. The supplier is claiming too many Micro-fit programs with cause an unsafe condition for the power lines. You and I both know that 10 Kw will be used by myself and my neighbour without any problem with the grid. To them its lost revenue

Randen
They're just trying to slow down the inevitable. Renewables are the future, now I'm seeing pros going to fully electric yard maintenance equipment and major auto manufacturers like VW and GM, that just merged with Honda, going full bore EV's. The fossil fuel industry is dying and like coal there's nothing the industry can do about it.
The halcyon days of the Koch's making 9 billion a year is coming to an end, the scale is tipping.
Old 09-12-20, 06:18 PM   #189
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Raden, I've had the opposite problem. The power company sent a spotter out to decide where to put the poles and saw my solar panels. He told me they can't make any money selling me electricity. That's with me buying the poles, transformer and wire!
The moral: If you have solar, hide it until you get grid power.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 12:37 PM   #190
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I find it interesting on youtube. People installing a few solar panels with a couple lead acid batteries and a small inverter to start with and intending to grow the system. Ultimately becoming dis-satisfied with the small systems performance and there goes the dream.

I followed a youtube couple with the desire to build off grid. I think I had seen only 6 panels. and the lead acid batteries that were used, so absolutely on there last legs. So he was trying to run power tools and a small trailer that they had lived in while building.

He had become quite disappointed with the system.

Had he installed 10 kw solar or more with lithium tech and some proper inverters. He would have been a lot happier!! For back-up a proper generator possibly propane. He would have avoided the cost for a power line from the grid to his build which cost him huge.

Randen