EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-15, 09:10 PM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have Hg lamps from as new as 2 I changed today to as old as about 10 years old. Big difference between a brand new lamp and one that's been going for who knows how long.

Then you have the whole self starter versus plain bulb.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 09:19 AM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

There are many factors to consider before you commit to a different type of lighting in a commercial setting. Be sure to get the type that works best for your situation.

LED lights and HPS lights measure up very close to each other with respect to raw light output versus Watts on the high end of the scale. The high end of the scale means brand new everything. Once the fixture gets dirty or begins to age, light output suffers. In that respect, HPS bulbs begin to lose efficiency after a few months of continuous use. LED fixtures generally take years to lose any noticeable output in luminosity.

Another thing to consider is serviceability and maintenance cost. HPS lights tend to use common bulbs that are not very expensive to replace. LED lighting fixtures are custom made, so if something goes awry the entire fixture gets replaced. In theory, the high lifetime of the LED fixture makes it a better return on investment due to no bulb replacement cost. In practice, most users don't change HPS bulbs out every time the bulbs start to dim, instead only replacing bulbs when they actually fail.

Last edited by jeff5may; 02-06-17 at 12:35 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 01:25 AM   #13
slippy
Helper EcoRenovator

I just made a post to "conservation" not having seen this thread. I bought a TON (well, ten tons, actually) of LED tubes at auction the other day. If anyone wants a good deal, please let me know. They can replace 4' OR 8' fluorescents.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 02:33 PM   #14
Sully01
Lurking Renovator

I imagine you have a fair amount of land that you would want covered and my second assumption is that you need live in a sunny state given the barns. Have you thought about going a mixture of solar and LED for your property. I get that for more prominent areas you may want sensor LEDs but that may be an option

Sully01 is offline   Reply With Quote