EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-09, 09:53 AM   #21
james
Lurking Renovator

too bad you are not nearby, I have many semi-operational batteries around here.

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 09:56 AM   #22
Daox
Administrator

James, feel free to introduce yourself in the introductions forum. If you have any ongoing projects post em in the projects and improvements section. We'd love to hear about what you're working on weather it be the solar setup, ways to conserve or whatever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 11:01 AM   #23
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It was funny though: when the bulb expired, the pedal effort immediately became easier. But powering the light certainly wasn't "hard". I wish I could have taken a current reading to know how many watts I was pushing before it blew up.
That's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure my 6 volt 1 million CP bulb says it's supposedly 55 watts on the base of the bulb. We could use Ohm's law to estimate the current if you know the voltage just before it blew (assuming the bulb really uses 55 watts at 6 volts). 55 watts at 6volts is 9.2 amps. That puts the bulb resistance around .65 ohms. So at 8 volts it was drawing around 12 amps. That puts power levels just under 100 watts.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 11:13 AM   #24
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I just remembered that I used my spotlight to load test my pv panels while they were still 6 volt output. I think the bulb ended up being a much lower load than the stated 55 watts, but don't remember how much lower. So the calculations may be a bit generous .
Old 01-16-09, 12:47 PM   #25
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

I never thought of checking the bulb: so I just did, and it says 25w.

It blew out at 8v, which works out to 3.1 amps.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 12:55 PM   #26
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
too bad you are not nearby, I have many semi-operational batteries around here.
Thanks! But... I just got one:

Man, I love this town. So friendly.

Second garage I went to had a pile of batteries in the corner. The owner was happy to let me pick one out (quick voltmeter auditions) after I told him what I was doing. He seemed interested.

Found one that read 12.3v, and figured that'd likely do. He said it probably just needs charging, and that people occasionally came in and insisted on a new battery, even though they didn't really need one. He even insisted on putting it on his load/capacity tester before I left. (It rated around the "50%" mark, but it's only 50% charged, so I don't know how that affects the test).

And it's less than 2 years old! Probably in better shape than my car's battery.

I paid him the scrap value ($10), which he said he'd give back if/when I return it.

Old 01-16-09, 02:04 PM   #27
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I never thought of checking the bulb: so I just did, and it says 25w.

It blew out at 8v, which works out to 3.1 amps.
Don't sell yourself short .
The wattage of a fixed resistance like a bulb, isn't constant when voltage changes.

If it's 25w at 6 volts, that means It draws 4.2 amps (25w/6v) at 6v, so the resistance is around 1.4 ohms (6v/4.2A). Use this resistance to find the current at 8 volts. It comes out to 5.7 amps (8v/1.4ohms), so it ends up being around 45w at 8 volts (8v x 5.7).
Old 01-16-09, 02:08 PM   #28
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I really like this project . It's made from stuff most people would have lying around. Wood is my favorite prototype medium , and it sounds like it is turning out some useful power.
Old 01-16-09, 05:53 PM   #29
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Jamie - thanks for schooling me on the basics. You'd think by now I'd know a bit more than I do, eh?

I agree the wood is a super quick way to get an idea off the ground.

Well, it works! (Again. This time @ 12v)

It puts out a little less juice than I was expecting/hoping, but here's what I'm seeing while pedaling, connected straight to the 12v battery (which had a starting voltage of about 12.33).

Total "system" voltage on the left, amps on the right..... fast, faster, fastest:

Old 01-17-09, 09:41 AM   #30
james
Lurking Renovator

Thats awesome that it works. I am going to have to do this here. How much trouble is it to take the blower fan out of a metro? My friends have one sitting in the yard, but its 0 degrees outside, and I'd rather wait till it warms up, especially if it takes more than a few mins.

james is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, generator, pedal