EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-16, 12:19 PM   #601
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just ordered a new sign for my greenhouse.

I picked up some more PEX fittings today hopefully these will fix the couple leaks we have.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP.JPG
Views:	886
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	6697  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-29-16), jeff5may (02-23-16), MEMPHIS91 (02-23-16)
Old 02-23-16, 06:17 PM   #602
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Where did you order it from? That is AWESOME!
Old 02-23-16, 06:42 PM   #603
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I thought you might like that one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
It is a tin Metal sign.

It sure made me laugh.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 02-23-16, 09:29 PM   #604
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

That one had me rolling for a few... Cuz fish crap causes cancer in California and who knows what else! AHahaha!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:04 AM   #605
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I replaced the leaky auto vent with just a manual valve. I replaced the other two leaky fittings.
It is now sealed up. I put the water in slowly at the bottom and opened the valve at the top and purged out the air.
I have a pressure gauge coming tomorrow so I can monitor the running pressure.
I have my car battery changing right now for the pump. I can’t wait to try it out.

It does look like spring in the greenhouse.

We had 50 mph wind gust yesterday. Happy to say the greenhouse took it fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160224_101934.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	6698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_101818.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	6699  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-25-16 at 09:03 AM..
Old 02-25-16, 12:16 PM   #606
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Today is not an overly sunny day it is 80 degrees in the greenhouse and 50 outside. I have the heat exchanger running to test it out.

The fish water is 65 on the top and 61.5 ¾ the way down. One hour running it raised the water temp 67 on the top and 62.5 ¾ way down.
The fan uses 107-108 watts the pump is run off 12v car battery I hope to mostly charge with a solar panel.

The fish water was 65 F four hours running it went to 68 F. I can’t wait until it is a very sunny day to run it.

Total water in fish tank sump tank and the grow bed is about 1,000 gallons

My pump is getting warm so I called the pump company and the duty cycle is 30 min an hour. It seems to be working I am going to need a different pump.
Here is my new sign.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160225_153147.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6704  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-13-16 at 09:02 AM..
Old 02-25-16, 07:40 PM   #607
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My neighbor had a hot water recirculating pump with Built-In Timer. He bought a natural gas hot water tankless heater that had a built in one. So he is going to give me his old pump. I think it will work out perfectly for this system and it can run 24 x 7 if I needed that. So I should have no issue running 4-6 hours a day.

I have one just like this one that I have setup on an intelligent system. It only runs when you turn on a bathroom light or kitchen sink light and then only runs for a set amount of time depending on how far you are from the tank. It works very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pump.JPG
Views:	1182
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	6705  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 02-26-16, 11:04 AM   #608
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My new pump is installed and working. I have one stubborn fitting that is dripping. It did not drip until under pressure. I installed my new pressure gauge.
Today is a perfect day to try it out it is very sunny today.

I just checked my new pump uses 30 watts and the fan is using 108 watts. So the total is 138 watts.
I checked and it had raised my fish tank 4 degrees already today. I think I am going to get very good heat for the power used. I will still have extra solar for the year so I can run this for no extra cost.
This is exciting to be able to control the fish water either cooling or heating it.
The fish do not eat well in cooler water therefore the plants will not do as good. The fish will not get to eating stage as fast. The plants also like warmer water on their roots.
I guess that is why this looks so promising.
The green house should stay warmer over cold nights it did last night.

Does anyone know what pressure I should shoot for in my closed loop system?

It was very sunny ¾ way down the fish tank I take temp. it started the day 62.5 I ran the heat exchanger from about 11 to 5 and the fish water went to 69.5 wow it increased 7 degrees. Keep in mind that some of the temperature increase is from the rock. But I have not had the total temperature that high sense last summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160226_105213.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6706  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-26-16 at 05:41 PM..
Old 02-27-16, 11:20 AM   #609
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Here are last night’s temps.

The greenhouse never went 57.7 degrees the fish water loss 3 degrees. It went down to 66.5 degrees.
This is good news it looks like the fish water gained more than it lost overnight.

I fixed the leak and it is back to running again today.
The fish were a little more lively/hungry today. A few more degrees and they will be very happy.

Sunday:
Today the fish water is 68.5 degrees F and they are calling for a sunny day so I should be able to get it warmer with the new heat exchanger setup.

Now on to other things. It is time to add my DWC (deep water culture). This bed will be in the back in front of the barrels.
I think it will be about 4’ foot by 12’ foot. I have 6’x 50’ roll DURA-SKRIM liner for it. I will be cutting up and welding the stands today.

Here are my plants so far. If you look closely (bottom left picture) you can see our first winter tomato starting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temp_2_27_2016.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	6708   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456669455863.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	6710  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-28-16 at 05:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-29-16), MEMPHIS91 (02-27-16)
Old 02-29-16, 09:36 AM   #610
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have never used a hand band. I read reviews and they get good reviews the harbor freight gets good reviews. This one guy did not like HF tools and was going to cut with it until it died 45 min later still cutting strong. It won him over he stopped trying to kill it and said it was the go to saw.

10 Amp Deep Cut Variable Speed Band Saw Kit
10 Amp Deep Cut Variable Speed Band Saw Kit
I cut up stands for the back bed 30 cuts in a short time it performs very well. I can cut straighter with it and less material is wasted. I was impressed with this tool.

Here is the way I clean my ears this is what I used to pollinate the tomatoes. I have ordered a cheap one to keep in the greenhouse to do this job.

The new heat exchanger is really working great the water going to the beds today 75 this is amazing.
Three days ago the water going to the grow beds was 65 degrees today it 75 degrees 10 degrees higher!

This is a game changer. The fish are active again and the eating has picked way up. This will be good news for the plants. Happy fish happy plants.

I just check the water temp to the grow beds 78, 79 is the target temp. If it gets to 80 I will shut down the heat exchange for now. The fish are so active and eating great today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160229_081155.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	6711   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_083738.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	6712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	6713  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-03-16 at 02:11 PM..