EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-16, 01:01 PM   #191
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Sure thing man. I'll help every way I can. It's pretty straight forward. They really are great units. It can record a crazy amount of data.

Ron342 (02-05-16)
Old 02-05-16, 07:21 AM   #192
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Great review, i wonder if the thermistor can be separated from the board so you could tape it to a particular line, part,etc?
Here's a link to a 2 sensor usb plug unit that uses a separate sensor on a cord that looks like it plugs to the usb uni which has the second sensor, can alarm, send email, maybe tattle to your wife too! About the same $, i haven't tried it but will.

USB Thermometer Hygrometer Temperature Sensor Data Logger Recorder for PC Laptop | eBay
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 09:01 AM   #193
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The case on these are solid, it would take some time to open it without hurting the board. They make a unit just like this that had an external sensor. I have one just haven't used it yet. Lol
The USB ones are really cool though. Amazing how cheap this tech is nowadays.
Old 02-17-16, 07:17 PM   #194
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Had my thinking cap back on for this project.

Considering my local weather https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States
I have several days that are going to be warmer than the pond while I am heating. Example, today it got to 56F, so my unit would be running more efficient running air source than it would be pond source (42F) today. This isn't uncommon either.
SO should I tie in the air source coils and have it on a solenoid on days like, so it can use the warmer air? It would be a design nightmare so the next question would be is it worth it? lol
Old 02-18-16, 06:31 AM   #195
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Had my thinking cap back on for this project.

Considering my local weather https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States
I have several days that are going to be warmer than the pond while I am heating. Example, today it got to 56F, so my unit would be running more efficient running air source than it would be pond source (42F) today. This isn't uncommon either.
SO should I tie in the air source coils and have it on a solenoid on days like, so it can use the warmer air? It would be a design nightmare so the next question would be is it worth it? lol
You can try running an air-sourced zone. All you do is plumb in the air hx at the discharge line and make sure the suction side merges alittle distance past the sensing bulb for the water loop. Control flow with an external equalized txv. When the water is warmer than the air, the txv will sense the increased pressure and close. When the air is warmer, the bulb will sense the temperature rise and open the valve.

Mejunkhound did this with his ground source system. I believe he also has some kind of low ambient cutout control rigged in somehow. To control whether or not the fan blows air? I can't remember. It's in this forum, though.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 06:03 PM   #196
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

This sounds like a good idea!
I have looked for the past two days, even going through every post mejunkhound ever made. He makes mention of it, and even says the details are in the HP manifesto, but a search under his name only brings up 11 post in that thread.
I'll keep looking though
Old 02-20-16, 01:45 AM   #197
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

AHA! found the thread.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...html#post34159

The whole thread is pretty relevant to your DX rig in the greenhouse and/or this setup. The majority of the participants in the discussion have put together their own unique flavor of system that would have cost much more if farmed out. The hands-on knowledge and experiences (and opinions) of various members makes for some highly constructive discussions (and arguments). I would not have attempted many of the rigs I have completed (with any level of success) if not for these people. To gain intimate knowledge about any subject, you have to find people who know what they are talking about, and are willing to discuss it. I am SO glad I found this forum, and the people who keep it alive.

The post I originally recalled is here:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/34159-post15.html

Happy reading!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 10:10 AM   #198
stevehull
Steve Hull

Wanted to let you know that the removable battery powered USB RC-5 temperature data logger is just as you said - superb. And at $15 it is a steal.

I did check the thermal time constant and it responds to ambient within 2-3 minutes even though the thermistor is inside.

The data software worked right, first time and I found it very simple and easy to use. The only hiccup was you have to reformat (one click) the unit to erase the stored data in it. When I clicked "delete data", it only did so on the computer file not the device.

I really like the left right scroll bar that highlights the temp on the graph.

Thanks for the recommendation. I agree 100%.

Steve
Old 02-20-16, 10:57 AM   #199
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Jeff, I must have looked over it somehow.... THANKS!!! I will start reading!

Steve, that is great man, so glad to hear I didn't get the one of few good ones from china and like some parts the other 80% are junk. lol Or we both got lucky and got good ones. lol
Old 02-20-16, 08:29 PM   #200
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Ok so I caught up on reading. Here are my thoughts. I'll need a txv on the outside coils for sure. But I don't want the added power of the fan running the whole time until the outside coil txv shuts it down. So maybe a temp switch outside that does let the fan come on below 45F.
I can get another set of air coils to add to the ones I already have and have both with their own txv.
Problem is a was planning on the compressor and water coils to be in the greenhouse, that is on the other side of the house from the air coils..... ggrrrr.....
So what if I built a highly insulated box to house the water coils and the water pump with a small eletric heater and thermostat to keep it at 40F?