EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-01-12, 10:20 PM   #1
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Are there metering pools good enough for billing renters?

Just a thought here - I could redesignate some space in my basement and transform it into a suite suitable for renting. That though poses the problem of how to charge the tenant for their power.

If I'm modifying my lifestyle to make use of solar/wind/hydro on my property such that I try to minimize demand when the "sun ain't shining" and a renter would play havoc with that strategy if they're intent on living a life of "wanting power whenever I want it" are there meter devices on the market which can split a home into two accounts and record usage by time of day and keep a record of that usage for monthly periods? Even if I have to have dedicated meters, the important thing is the ability to create a billing record of sorts.

Anyone know if this is possible?

AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 12:06 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

You can buy used electric meters like the power company uses, some watt meters for electric cars have data logging but are set up for DC and I'm pretty sure that the TED meter offers data logging as well.
But if you are renting out a room and have wind or solar, you should be able to market that room to people who want to live with wind or solar instead of to someone who is not.
Are you off grid already? if you are then taking on a renter is going to screw with your electrical use and there really isn't much you can do about it other then installing LED lighting, light switches that are motion sensors or timers and furnishing stuff like a super efficient fridge.
If you are not off grid, then what kind of metering does your power company offer? do you have a meter that can run backwards or do you have two meters?
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 12:29 PM   #3
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You can buy used electric meters like the power company uses, some watt meters for electric cars have data logging but are set up for DC and I'm pretty sure that the TED meter offers data logging as well.
But if you are renting out a room and have wind or solar, you should be able to market that room to people who want to live with wind or solar instead of to someone who is not.
Are you off grid already? if you are then taking on a renter is going to screw with your electrical use and there really isn't much you can do about it other then installing LED lighting, light switches that are motion sensors or timers and furnishing stuff like a super efficient fridge.
If you are not off grid, then what kind of metering does your power company offer? do you have a meter that can run backwards or do you have two meters?
I'm not facing this situation now but I will the option of entering into the situation in the future.

I was simply curious if there were meters on the market which could data log thus enabling me to set terms for the tenant and become my own little "power company" and record the particulars of when they used power (different rates for different times of the day) and present them with a record which backed up the charges.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 12:41 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I think what my neighborhood solar guy showed me was a TED setup, he has a number of little clamp on ammeters to different circuits in his house in the breaker box and they communicate with a master box and then output the information in a chart of the different circuit power uses. Pretty sure it was TED. If you find out what circuits you need to track that would be exclusive to them, you could do it. You'll probably spend more money than its worth to figure it out versus just billing them for half the whole bill unless they are very heavy users. If you dictate in the lease the type and wattage of lights and provide a statement that only the homeowner is allowed to touch them you can limit the wattage, but be reasonable. Same with refrigerators, if you give their space an energy star unit it shouldn't add a ton to the total cost. In my house the biggest electricity sucker is the air conditioner, followed by the fridge. If they want 68 degrees, it might cost a bunch but the difference between you living alone at 78 versus splitting the cost at 68 would make you pay less than the cost you would on your own.

FWIW, I'm in a similar situation, have an empty room and willing to share it. Strange thing this person seems to say they are cool with 80 degrees in the summer and 60 in the winter. Not sure if I believe it though but either way, if I split the cost of a 65 winter and 74 summer in half, I'm still paying less than I do now. I'm aiming to get all of my air sealing and insulation completely done before we hit highs above 70's on a regular basis so that will help.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 03-02-12 at 12:44 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 11:39 AM   #5
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Do not know if these are in your price range ? Or if this might be what you have in mind ?

E-Mon D-Mon Electric Submetering Products-Home Page

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 08:18 AM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

A thread brought back from the dead. Apparently I didn't know about this from my previous post on March 2012. Not sure if you are still looking for a meter but they are dirt cheap here. Same dial meters used by the power company, I plan to connect mine to the 240v circuit for charging an EV so I can do math on consumption(wh/mile, miles per kwh, kilometers instead, etc whatever your fancy). Hialeah Meter Company

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote