EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search
 


Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-11, 08:55 PM   #41
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Default

" any propane tank works"?

Yep, my acetylene regulator screws right onto a BBQ tank, no separate costly tank needed. Same LH threads on both type tanks.
Have used propane for the cutting torch exclusively for about 20 years. Only time I use acetylene anymore is the rare torch welding of steel, such as for lift rings.

mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:49 AM   #42
cmroseberry
Lurking Renovator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have done plenty of brazing and silver soldering with just a propane-air torch ($30). The best information I have gotten on technique is from "Soldering and Brazing by Tubal Cain, Workshop Practice Series #9" from Nexus Special Interests.
cmroseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 01:08 PM   #43
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,897
Thanks: 111
Thanked 248 Times in 228 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
" any propane tank works"?

Yep, my acetylene regulator screws right onto a BBQ tank, no separate costly tank needed. Same LH threads on both type tanks.
Have used propane for the cutting torch exclusively for about 20 years. Only time I use acetylene anymore is the rare torch welding of steel, such as for lift rings.
A few years back, we got a new BBQ and it had a new type of connector..
Will a standard acetylene regulator screw into the old style or the new?
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 01:19 PM   #44
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,897
Thanks: 111
Thanked 248 Times in 228 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroseberry View Post
I have done plenty of brazing and silver soldering with just a propane-air torch ($30). The best information I have gotten on technique is from "Soldering and Brazing by Tubal Cain, Workshop Practice Series #9" from Nexus Special Interests.
I'll look it up and check it out.. I've done a lot of plumbing with copper,
so I've got a starting point anyways..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 11:20 AM   #45
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,001
Thanks: 303
Thanked 712 Times in 532 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I'll look it up and check it out.. I've done a lot of plumbing with copper,
so I've got a starting point anyways..
Have you run out of gumption on this project?

Want to sell your unit?

-AC_Hacker
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 11:52 AM   #46
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,897
Thanks: 111
Thanked 248 Times in 228 Posts
Default

I'm a bit distracted by other stuff now. My Solar back-up system, solar screens etc.

I'll get back on the repair, sooner or later.. Even if I can't do the repair, all the spare
parts on this leaker might be very useful someday.

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design