EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-03-12, 11:35 AM   #21
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thanks for posting the bad with the good, your making some good choices.

For others that may read this thread, here's some of my thoughts. Don't buy odd size solar panels and tie them to the same array, the smaller size panels will drag down the larger panels. Only way around this is to buy inverter or charge controller for each array with identical size panels, no losses.

With grid tie, all your generation will be used by your house. Any over generation will cause your power meter to register a lower reading. Then at night when you turn on a light, you will draw back from the grid the excess KWHs you generated during the day. YOUR USING THE POWER GRID AS YOUR BATTERIES. Batteries are only for power outages or totally off grid. You do not want to turn DC into AC, because of the loss in conversion DC to AC. Only way around this is have 12v, 24v or 48v appliances in your house, no conversion needed.

Total electric home, zero electric bill for 4 years.
Solar build Lots of Videos.

Live monitoring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 12-03-12 at 11:38 AM..
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 01:19 PM   #22
granadaCoder
Lurking Renovator

I'm following this thread.

If possible, is there anyway you can post exact part numbers (or amazon links) to the parts you are using?

I'm a newbie, and if I ever "jump in", having a real life list of actual parts used would be invaluable.

Thanks.
granadaCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 08:31 PM   #23
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well if you want to read up on solar and or ask questions go here

Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Awesome group of people and very newb friendly.. I learned a lot just reading threads already started..

Little update today.. I ran across another deal on panels 10x210 watt spi panels for 2000$ shipped and they are grade a the sharp panels I was looking at are b grade 230 watt panels for 2600$ I'm looking into the spi company as we speak.. Seems to be a good company made in us just like the sharps..
Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 08:40 AM   #24
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default hinged solar panel solution

Hey fordguy64.

I wonder if you'd like to look at my solution to changing the angle of the panels to follow the seasons.

Basically (see my post "PPPower shed"). I built a post and beam shed with a shed roof. To the high end of the shed I attached a pt 2x10. I then attached dock hinges, from HD I think, to the 2x10 and then made a mate to which I attached the insert end of the dock hinge. This makes for a very heavy duty support system as the bolts from the hinges (1/2" galvanized; lock washers) are quite strong.

I then attached unirac to the "mate": another 2x10. And bolted the panels to the unirac.

This system has been in place for just over a year now. We have had many storms, including one "major" blow (for our area) that blew down trees. My neighbor lost three. The panels didn't so much as budge from the 30 degree summer setting. There has been no movement on any of the bolts.

And they are fully adjustable from flat to upright with very little effort.

This system currently has 1 kw, with plans to add another 500. I have the panels, just not the time. If you look at the original post I have a drawing for a 2kw set up. In my case I'm moving the next kw to a different location to offset late Nov/Dec/Jan. shading from trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shed-plan-01.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2725   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed-plan-02.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	2726  
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:35 AM   #25
Daox
Administrator

So, now that you have a million panels, where are the updates?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 06:21 PM   #26
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

haha i wish i had a million panels.. i think i might actually go 24v system with non grid tie. ive been reading into GT with my utility and it sounds like a huge pain. And ive run across a new inverter that 24v that is less then half of what they are new, so i might pull the trigger on that. other then that i have no major updates.
Old 05-19-13, 07:17 PM   #27
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

well i picked up 2 pure sine wave inverters on ebay. one is a 1500watt 3k surge and the other is a 600 with a 800 surge. ive got them wired into my battery bank as 24 volt. so ive got a 24volt bank with 840amp hours. i have my trimetric battery meter hooked up and is giving me all the info i want for the batteries. i opened up the house fan the other day and have been running the house fan off of the solar as much as possible. i should be ordering 2 more sets of the dm solar panels this week. that will bring my array up to 870 watts. i brought in 1.2kwh today on the 290 watts of panels i have now and this morning was very cloudy so i expect i can get some more out of it on a better day.

i know i had talked about going with a 48volt bank originally but i went with the 24 just because it seems to be easier to get inverters and things for it. i also plan to build a small diesel powered generator for when the sun doesnt shine.
Old 05-20-13, 09:26 AM   #28
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like you got a pretty good sized battery bank. Are they normally that large? I know in electric cars you generally dont want to take your pack down below 50%, and I would imagine that in a household application you would want to bring them down even less to extend life.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 07:46 PM   #29
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

i do have a rather large battery bank. the battery bank size really depends on how long you want to be able to run with out sun or other ways of charging the battery bank. at 24 volt and 840 amp hours i have roughly 20kwh of storage. now that is to full discharge of the batteries.. like you stated the further you drain the batteries the less life they have.. i personally dont plan on letting mine drop below 80% or so. with a 20% discharge that is roughly 4kwh or power. basically i can run a fridge (roughly 1.2kwh a day) for 3 days with no sun and not drain the batteries below 80%. technically my battery bank requires about 2kw of solar panels to be totally functional but im waiting on that purchase till later. and i still plan on going with an outback fx3524 inverter someday..

this brings me to another project im working on. im curently building a small diesel generator to charge the battery bank if need be. its a Lister-Petter AC1 a small 6hp single cylinder diesel engine that i will hook up a very large alternator to and charge the batteries with that. more on the generator later.