EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-15, 11:29 PM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
Took some pics with our new Flir One, incredible tool for the price!
These loop petty good.

Overlaying the visual image with the thermal image is a great idea. It really helps to identify the objects in the picture. I had to do some second guessing with the rented Flir 7. I would suspect that the combined image feature will be included in other models, maybe other brands, too. I mean you can't patent image combining, can you?

Looks like the Flir is quite sensitive to the thermal differences, especially valuable in identifying thermal bridging areas.

What was the outdoor temperature when the images were made of the vaulted ceiling?

-AC

Old 01-04-15, 03:22 AM   #12
oil pan 4
Land owner

Fluke VT series uses uncooled sensor. It uses some kind of photo image with thermal color over lay.
Flir TG165 use the same sensor as the smart phone thermal camera. It looks better than the fluke but not that great. They don't say that it uses a cooled sensor, but since its the same electronics as the smart phone add on I think its safe to assume it is not cooled.
The image looks kind of narrow, low quality, grainy.

Flir E series does wifi. Which I don't need.

Flir i3 appears to have a very narrow aspect ratio and low resolution.

At work I use a flir i7, a lot. I have a feeling I have been ruined by its wide field of view and high resolution. I could settle for the flir i5.

The flir i7 I use almost every day is awesome. It has a feature that will find the hottest or coolest pixel in the field of view. The aspect ratio is wide and the resolution is high.
Only problem is it retails for $2k, but you get what you pay for its no less than weapons grade diagnostic equipment. The price is the only thing I don't like about it.

So it will have to be a flir i5 or i7 for this guy.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 07:38 AM   #13
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I think you may be right. Given that you have to have an iphone or android phone + the flir/seek, the cost of a i5 is closer for me and the resolution is much improved over the phone cameras.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 09:57 AM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

For a brand new design, from a brand new company, at a brand new low price, the seek looks like a great entry-level accessory. It most certainly will not have the gimmicks built into it that the flir products do. Seek does not have the resources nor the industry experience to produce the value-added features that flir has fully developed for their pro-grade equipment.

For an established company such as flir, including features such as image blending and picture stabilization is almost trivial in nature. Naturally, they will include these software enhancements into the flir one, since they can be integrated for next to no overhead expense. These added features have already had the research and development work completed for their more expensive products. Porting the features to work with a smartphone is like a hobby project for a software developer.

OTOH, the Seek is a first-revision device. It was designed in secrecy, in a hurry, to bring a competitive product to market. It is designed to plug into a whole generation of phones, not just a few models of the same brand. The mere feat of bringing such a niche device to the open-source market is spectacular. I would be happy to have a device that functioned with half a dozen different brands of phones straight out of the box, that didn't instantly crash the device or drain the battery in no time. The fact that you can capture virgin images and send them to the internet, to be viewed by all at will, is phenomenal.

What happens next will define whether seek will become a competitive player in their market. Once they sell a million of these devices and pad the bank account, they can write the next chapter of their own history. If they provide decent or awesome support for this original product, they will survive long enough to release future revisions or new products. As for me, I will always support American underdog inventors trying to break into a tough market.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 10:09 AM   #15
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Mighty wide of you to support a inferior product Jeff , It will take a lot of people like you to save the company from its failures to properly develop a cheap thermal gadget.

Last edited by ecomodded; 01-04-15 at 10:16 AM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 01:44 PM   #16
oil pan 4
Land owner

Usually when average people want something they go after the cheapest version, unless that something is a status symbol that can be shown off like a new car or the latest icrack.
So if SEEK has the cheapest semi-thermal imager on the market they could do quite well.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 04:24 PM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

especially with the android crowd , they have limited options , the iPhone 5 can be had for free with some of the Cell carriers if you sign up for a 2 year contract. I know someone who did this , well he renewed his plan payed $30 and got the iPhone 5.
Old 01-08-15, 03:24 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I came across a Macro lens for the SEEK that fits over the seeks lens and enhances the clarity.

I noticed it on eBay , below is a comparison

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seek macro add on lens.JPG
Views:	2060
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	4927  

Last edited by Daox; 01-08-15 at 03:30 PM..
Old 01-08-15, 03:46 PM   #19
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I came across a Macro lens for the SEEK that fits over the seeks lens and enhances the clarity.
No link??

-AC
Old 01-08-15, 05:58 PM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Nope , no link

I believe the price was $45 , its for close up use ..

Last edited by ecomodded; 01-08-15 at 06:41 PM..