EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-14, 05:43 AM   #11
thx712517
Lurking Renovator

Forgot all about this website for a while. I guess I forgot to opt in for email notification!

We went through a big hassle with Lowe's trying to get an efficient water heater, but it fell through. Trying again with a different company next week.

Anyway, I have made a few improvements. I'm in the process of replacing all the incandescent light bulbs with Switch Infinia LEDs. So far I've dropped a kilowatt. Our last electricity bill was for 322 kilowatt hours, so I'm hoping next month's will be better.

We used 167 therms last month, and I know this month will be worse because it was the Atlanta deep freeze. Our pipes froze at one point, so on the worst days we kept the heat on all day long instead of letting it dip. No pipe damage though, so worth it.

I installed sealing strips all around the garage door. Before, you could stick your hand through the gaps. Now you can't see light. It's made a huge difference in the temperature of the room over the garage and it keeps our cars nice and toasty. It was 14 degrees outside and the car thermometer was reading 58. I also installed those electrical outlet foam gaskets. I don't know if they actually did anything, but it made me feel like I was doing something useful.

We went through 3,000 gallons of water last month. I discovered to my horror that our toilets are from 1987, so that's on the list for replacement. We went to the library's water conservation clinic last night, so I've got a bag of faucet aerators and other goodies to install.

So, plans going forward: Install new seals on doors and windows. Continue to replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs (50 watt reduction each bulb). Replace the water heater, wrap it in a blanket, and insulate the hot water pipe. Install the water-saving devices we were given. Look at 1.28 gpf toilets for the future.

thx712517 is offline   Reply With Quote