EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-26-08, 10:48 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Low flow shower head & faucet aerators

Any recommendations on any brands or models to go with? I'm definitly going to be trying some out in the near future. These things can save buckets of water and money, and are CHEAP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 11:28 AM   #2
toyobug
avid DIY'r

I've ordered a few things from this site.

Water conservation products low-flow shower heads, sink aerators, toilet tank banks, lo flow garden hose nozzles, home water kits
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 01:17 PM   #3
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

I have the low flow shower head from Home Depot. I think it's a Delta. It cost about $13. I figure that it will save us 300 gal per month with just two of us using it. It is a little bit like the pulsating massage on some showerheads. I am thinking about moving it to the guest bath and then buying a Road Runner (~$45) for the master bath. My parents have the Ultra Saver type but the showerheads are old (30 years) and the spray is uneven. They may just need to be cleaned.

You can see reviews and videos of some low flow showerheads here:
Best Low Flow Showerhead »» MetaEfficient Reviews

Note: Some (or all?) of the low flow showerheads will not work with a tankless water heater. The Road Runner is not recommended in this case. I think this is because it decreases the flow when the water warms up.

Last edited by truckncycle; 09-26-08 at 01:21 PM..
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 02:16 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Thanks, thats a great review. Adds a few more shower heads to look at too that I didn't find just searching.

The only reason I would think on demand water heaters wouldn't work is because they require X amount of flow before they actually turn on. If the shower head is close to that, they may get twitchy.

&
Old 09-26-08, 04:56 PM   #5
groar
X-Frenchy: very

We put lo-flow aerators on nearly every faucet, shower included. We didn't put them in the kitchen where the faucet is special, and in the bath where it is useless.

I confess I didn't tested these lo-flow aerators to see if they are effective, but at the end of the shower I find I have less water on my body to dry.

Denis.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 11:14 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

My aunt and uncle have one of those ultra saver types and I don't like it. It makes tiny droplets of water that cool off REALLY fast. By the time the mist (there isn't a stream of water) gets down to your legs its cooled off. Yet, if you stick your head in the stream up high its really hot. It ends up being a uncomfotable shower IMO. Plus you have to use hotter water to make it comfortable. I think I'll try a different kind. Some of waterpik's EcoFlow models look promising.

&
Old 09-28-08, 08:19 AM   #7
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I have the cheapest one from Walmart with a shut off valve . . . .
I'm happy with it . . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 12:25 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Well, I was up at my Dad's house this weekend and was talking about the site and stuff to do to save money etc and my step mother pulls out a low flow shower head from their back room. I guess they had gotten it as part of a program they did, but he can't use it since he needs one of those handled heads with the hose. So, I got myself a free 2.0 gpm shower head! I'll still probably try some others out to see what they are like, but that was pretty cool.

&
Old 09-29-08, 02:31 PM   #9
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

Awesome. Free is good. You will have to let us know how you like it. I ordered my Road Runner on Friday. I will let you know how it goes.
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 02:13 PM   #10
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

reminds me of the seinfeld episode were their hair was all greasy because of the low flow heads....so kramer bought the one that they used to clean the elephants at the circus.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet aerators, low flow, shower head