EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-17, 10:02 PM   #21
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I love buying new stuff, but I'm getting advice to hold off for a while,
to wait for the new stuff that's coming within the next year or so.
There will be better hardware and software.. (I hope)..
Look at what has happened to Z-wave and Samsung’s SmartThings. They are hackable.

However, since encryption is so hard to get right, (made hard to break) it might be longer than expected, and I'll be in a rest home..

So yeah, I would like to stick with the X10 stuff for now, and save my money for some gear that is harder to hack.
Where I live in MA, there are millions of people using wifi and there is also a high population of hackers..

Around here, there are city halls and police departments paying hackers to turn off Ransomeware..

Old 01-30-17, 10:41 AM   #22
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

Everything is hackable. Only way to insure nothing you own is not hackable it to not buy anything with a radio in it or that connects to the net.

I try to keep things locked down as much as possible but I know no matter what someone can and will get in any system if they want to. Easy to break a window instead of the door that is more secure. Every system usually has a weak point.

I installed car alarms back in the day. Even with an alarm windows would get broken and convert tops cut for entry. On convertibles we suggested not installing the auto lock. Leave it unlocked and alarm set. Most thieves will check the door handle to see if it's unlocked. If it's locked a slice to the top and they pop the door. Either way the alarm does off and may loose you stuff but one way saves you the cost/aggravation of replacing the convertible top.

I can't worry about every way the world is out to get me, too old for that. I love never turning on/off my kitchen and bedroom lights. Love the front door unlocked as I arrive especially when my hands are full and knowing when the wife and kid are arriving at the house. House lights up at dusk and turns off when we go to bed. I get a notification if it's raining and I left any windows open. Vacation mode makes the house look occupied. Even the silly announcements for the washer, mail and doorbell. LOL And that doesn't even touch upon most of the system or the voice part.

Long post but my point is I know everything can be hacked these days but I want to enjoy my life so I will. Only way not to be hacked is to live totally off the grid/no electronics at all.
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 10:59 AM   #23
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I lost my data+ in the OPM hack.. (When the White House lost the Cyber war in 2015).
So, I know that everything is hackable. I just want my stuff to be less hackable..

I think maybe that Broadlink unit might be able to detect when the Sanyo
mini-split is starting to fail (because it's 7deg outdoors) and turn off the Sanyo,
then turn on some (power hogging) space heating..
That would be really nice and allow me to sleep easier..
Old 01-30-17, 01:11 PM   #24
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I was looking at cheap Wifi controlled sockets on Ebay,
Smart WiFi Remote Control Timer Switch Power Socket Outlet US Plug for Cellphone

then I looked up a video to explain how they worked..
https://youtu.be/BI3fZ1lk-aE

When they showed the app, I realized it was the same Broadlink app
that I downloaded last night, to get some idea how the Broadlink RM2 Pro "Hub thing" worked..
2016 Broadlink RM Pro WiFi Wireless Remote Control Home Automation Kit Black US
Strange, the same app for both devices..

Edit: I saw the Broadlink shipping for $30 from NJ, so I placed an order..
I think this thing might be able to operate our 315 MHz GDO..

Last edited by Xringer; 01-30-17 at 04:42 PM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 09:53 AM   #25
dhaslam
Lurking Renovator

In Europe TVs did not have an energy rating until 2010. Any most large TVs before that make good room heaters. I noticed my TV bought in 2008 was able to raise the room temperature by one degree and the surface temperature was almost 40C. Electricity saving paid for a replacement in two years. It shows how important these labels are for domestic appliances but generally one step from the top ratings gives the optimum value. There is no merit in paying more for an appliance than the energy savings over its life, specially if the electricity source is renewable.
dhaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 02:21 PM   #26
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The Sanyo mini split in the TV Den is doing a little extra work now, but I'm sure
it is a lot more efficient than that old Plasma TV..

I really like using the YouTube app on this new TV.. I'm a big YT fan and really like
sitting on a comfortable sofa while I watch.. (Instead of this office chair in the PC room)..