EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-12, 08:31 AM   #1
mnbv69
Lurking Renovator

Default Hi from England

Hi All,
I've been interested in renewable energy ever since I first paid a utility bill (nearly 20 years).
Currently I'm completing a 70m2 extension on a house we bought last year. It's been designed to be largely passive-solar heated (large south-facing windows and concrete slab ground floor). I'm planning LED lighting throughout. Insulation meets or exceeds new-build standards in the UK. After that I'm planning more insulation to the existing house and also new windows, then probably PV as the main roof faces south.

My reason for visiting was mainly to find a low-cost temperature logging system so I can monitor the house and see if the passive solar heating design works.

mnbv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnbv69 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-12, 08:46 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done. I'll just throw out that air sealing is also a major concern that should be looked at if it hasn't already.

A few of the members here have used different logging techniques from automated ones to manual methods. I assume you're interested in automated methods? Do you know anything about electronics and programming? An arduino can fairly easily do what you ask, but it will require some building. I believe Strider has an arduino logger setup in his house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
mnbv69 (10-11-12)
Old 10-11-12, 08:58 AM   #3
mnbv69
Lurking Renovator

Thanks daox.

Yes air sealing will be something I need to do soon, as I'll be fitting the windows and doors. The basic structure should be quite airtight as it's aircrete block, 100mm rockwool, aircrete block. Will be rendered outside and plastered inside. I've seen tapes like "proclima" that I may use to help with this.

Forgot to say that I'm fitting a Passivent humidity-sensing stack vent system to the four wet rooms for ventilation.

I've used an arduino before - may even still have it - so I'll take another look at that.
mnbv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnbv69 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-12, 09:41 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Here is a link to Strider's logging project: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...g-project.html

Here is a very quick and simple setup I made, although I apparently had some accuracy problems that need working out: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...re-logger.html

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post: