EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-15, 11:12 PM   #1
UNCSoc
Lurking Renovator

Default A better heat pump water heater?

Ecorenovators,

I am wondering what you think of the interesting claims made about this (newer?) heat pump water heater. They seem to make sense, but really? and do they make that much difference in efficiency and longevity?

Even if all of the claims are right, does it all add up to being worth $2400 for the larger unit? Seems like a lot, but maybe the efficiency would pay it back in a few years.

stiebel-eltron-usa.com/accelera (would have to paste in your browser search engine)

If you can't get to the link, here are some of the claims:

A true heat pump water heater that can satisfy 90 percent of hot water needs

Each watt used for compressor and fan results in 3-5 watts worth of hot water generated.

The backup heating element is placed at the top of the tank so it can be smaller and more efficient

During a draw, the cold water enters at the bottom and is kept from mixing with the hot water, so you can use all the hot water stored in the tank (rather than seeing a rather quick decline in temperature with the remaining hot water as the cold water is drawn in).

The "coils" surround the outside of the tank for greater efficiency and to eliminate any chance of mixing with water.

Glass tank for longevity

In may case, it would sit in my basement utility room (the company claims that would be best in colder climates). I could also put it in a rather large insulated crawl space if there was some efficiency advantage there.

Wow, it sounds perfect (except for the price of course--I know some of you are building your own heat pump hot water heaters, but I don't think I am at that level just yet so may have to spend the money)

Thanks.

UNCSoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump water heater