EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-09, 12:46 AM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default water heater timers

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic.
I currently have an electric hot water heater that I've installed a blanket on, and a timer that turns it off at 11pm and back on at 5 am, one of my room mates took a shower at 4am and claimed it was plenty warm, 5 hours of sitting and it's still warm? seems pretty good to me, so I ordered more tabs to turn it on and off, my plan is to have it turn on at 5am (one room mate sometimes gets up at that time) and turn off at 8am or so, turn back on at 3 or 4pm then I'm not sure if I should have it turn off again at 6pm or so and back on for an hour late at night (other room mate likes the option of showering before bed after going out for the evening), or if I should have it stay on till 11pm.
Anyone else have a water heater timer? what do you all do? my plan is to have it turn off before the times we would do things like shower, so it's not heating up the new cold water that is in the tank so it can sit there all day nice and warm when no one needs it.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 12:20 PM   #2
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Our water heater is synchronized with off peak hours so it restart at 22:30 and will not start after 6:30. But in fact if it restarts at 22:30 it's stopped at 00:00 and restarts only twice or three times during 15-20 minutes each until 06:30. You can see the 3 night picks in the first picture of this post.

When we had a blackout lately, we didn't had electricity during 25 hours and no off peak hours signal during the following 2 nights. The remaining hot water was still hot enough to take showers. I have to confess that I don't know how the water heater is configured because to access to the configuration panel I have to uninstall it The water heater was installed by the previous owner and it doesn't seam to consume so much for a 10 years old electric water heater.

Denis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote