EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-10, 08:04 PM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Nope, I haven't replaced anything. I've been in the house just over 2 years now and am just getting to some of this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 08:17 PM   #12
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

You might want to at least take a look at the anode rod then. It's sacrificial and "wears out" over time, giving up its metal in a galvanic reaction instead of the inside of the tank getting corroded. If it's bad, you might be able to get a few more years out of your heater by replacing it.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 10:06 AM   #13
Higgy
The Gardener

What's the standard amount of time before replacing your water tank? Is it 10 years?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 10:46 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I've heard ~15 years.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 08:52 AM   #15
Higgy
The Gardener

Ok, so I did the same dump to my water tank last Thursday. Would have posted sooner but I couldn't find this post. It's an electric water tank. Turned off the water and the power, emptied the whole tank, blasted it a few more times with some extra water until it looked mostly clear (it was so sloooow), then filled er back up. When I turned all the taps back on though, I forgot to remove the aerators from the taps. Is that a big deal? I'm going to try to remember to remove them tonight and clean them out if they're dirty.
Old 11-15-10, 04:37 PM   #16
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Higgy, did you have any sediment in the first draining phase? Lots in the post-rinse phase?
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 07:52 PM   #17
Higgy
The Gardener

Lots in the first draining phase...then not as much in the second 2 I don't think. I didn't really stick around to watch it pour out. It took forever.
Old 11-15-10, 09:07 PM   #18
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

So, I guess I had no sediment in mine, even though it hasn't been drained in at least 1.5 years. I'm running Buffalo city water, which is good stuff, but not free of minerals.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:57 PM   #19
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

looking for info on water tank comparisons I came across this site

Emergency Preparedness: How to make sure your water heater can be used as an emergency water supply

There they discuss a lot of issues with various hotwater heaters including ultra slow drain times, crap in the tanks and the crappy drain valves clogging and leaking. They recommend replacing the drain valve with a better off the shelf one to allow you to actually get all of the water out easily/quickly in the event of an emergency and you needing to drink that water.

They had tons of info on the tanks, various setups and options.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 09:45 AM   #20
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I've been told that if your water heater is over 10 years old that I should not be suprized if I can't get parts (thermostat or whatever) for it any more as they don't expect them to last that long, warranty's range from 6 to 12 years, I haven't seen any longer then 12 years but I have seen water heaters last much longer then that and some fail after 5 years.

I'm not sure why you would turn off the water and let the tank fill with air, I always drain mine with the water on and it flows clear after about 5 gallons but starts out with a nice brown sludge.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, drain, maintenance, sediment, service, water heater