EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-16, 08:37 PM   #91
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quick update: I went in person to the city today to check on our permit. They said it was all approved and would be signed off and ready to pick up tomorrow morning!

Now the concern is safety of my help as we get on the roof which has about 2" of snow and ice still. Temperatures don't get above freezing here until Sunday, then we have a string of snowstorms rolling though until Christmas.

I'm sure glad I went ahead and installed all my mounting feet and shingle work 3 weeks ago when it was nice and sunny; only 2 penetrations for conduit will have to be done on cold shingles. The layout work would have been a nightmare in the snow too.

I'm going to follow SteveHull's advice on grounding; using #6 copper and a Wiley Weeb grounding lug on each panel. WEEB LUG

So glad not to be playing the waiting game anymore!

Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-16, 09:24 PM   #92
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is great to hear you making progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-16, 06:34 PM   #93
Roostre
EcoLearner

Default Permit in hand!

Started last night by sweeping the snow off my roof in hopes that a sunny Friday would melt it down;

Into the night! Took longer than I thought it would. (Phrase I'm getting famous for.)

I also propped open the attic access to try and let some more heat in the attic. Exactly the opposite of an Ecorenovator. :shame:

Last edited by Roostre; 12-02-16 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: add pics
Old 12-02-16, 06:40 PM   #94
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nice looking Volt.
Same color as mine what year is yours?

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-02-16, 06:44 PM   #95
Roostre
EcoLearner

Default Sunny Friday works!!

After work I came home and was pleasantly surprised to find the roof fairly clear. I took a propane weed torch up and cleared any icy spots still left around the mounts. I have lots of help coming over Saturday morning and I sure don't want any of my friends getting hurt.

I then assembled all 66 of my Spider Rax mounts and installed 3/4 to the roof. I am bolting the 4th up to the panels as we install them so that the optimizers can be bolted to them on the ground. With the Optimizers installed to the panel it cannot put out more than 1V until the inverter is hooked up. Nice safety feature SolarEdge has there.

Sun was about gone and the temps in the teens with a brisk wind gusting through so I came in to thaw out. Another cold day tomorrow, but Sunday is supposed to be 40F and sunny. Our last good shot at getting this done.
Old 12-02-16, 06:45 PM   #96
Roostre
EcoLearner

Old 12-02-16, 06:48 PM   #97
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I wonder if you could use hot water.

Nice looking Volt.
Same color as mine what year is yours?
A 2013. I call it "Blackbird" after the SR-71.

The weed burner was $19 from HF and man it puts out some serious heat!! Have to be prudent with it, but it melts the ice quickly and then dries the shingles out some too; you just have to keep it moving so the heat doesn't concentrate too much.
Old 12-02-16, 06:50 PM   #98
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The roof looks great. Weed bunner was good idea.

Your Volt was the same year as mine.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-02-16)
Old 12-04-16, 08:43 AM   #99
Roostre
EcoLearner

Default More progress!

We managed to get all the conduit in the attic and garage net up and ran. Inverter is tied to panel and to rooftop junction box (Soladeck). Also mounted 11 panels.

Things should go much faster today. 17 more panels and 1 wire pull from the south facing roof to the Soladeck.

A beautiful sunrise at 17F to kick things off! At least it will get above freezing today. After watching a few episodes of Ice Pilots and seeing what those mechanics do in -40C on a ladder in the wind, I will not complain about this!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roostre For This Useful Post:
celblazer (12-04-16), creeky (12-15-16), jeff5may (12-10-16), pinballlooking (12-04-16), stevehull (12-04-16)
Old 12-04-16, 07:53 PM   #100
Roostre
EcoLearner

Talking It was a HELLUVA DAY up on the ROOF!