Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-10, 06:25 PM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dktoast View Post
I realize it's hard to give specific advice -- what I'm wondering about are general principles. I noticed earlier in this thread that AC_Hacker said the units look better, or less bad () over windows or doorways. I can see that. Ok to heat a 25 x 15 living room from one side? Or perhaps with a ceiling unit?
You'll probably never find the perfect place the indoor and outdoor unit(s), but you can find the best compromise.

I'm sticking with the 'over the door' or 'over the window' concept, but strictly from an aesthetic point of view.

You should begin by finding the best possible site for the outside unit because the inside unit(s) won't be so very far away.

So you might want to consider...
  • Puting the outside unit where it won't be covered by a snowdrift, if it snows in your area.
  • Puting the outside unit where it won't be in full sun during the hot, past-noon hours.
  • Puting the outside unit where it isn't directly exposed to serious rain.
  • Puting the outside unit where it isn't visible from the street (why tempt fate?).
  • The exhaust air from the outside unit can be an issue, because on a cold day, the exhaust air will be colder than the ambient air, on a hot day, the exhaust air will be hotter than the ambient air. It would be best if the outside unit were not right next to front doors or back doors for this reason.

Once you have this straight, you're gonna be drilling a 3" hole (or there abouts) through a wall of your house so you'll want to make sure that there aren't any service features where you want to drill, like:
  • water pipes
  • domestic waste pipes
  • sewage vent pipes
  • electric wires

You also want to make sure that there aren't any architectural features like soffits, book cases, etc. that might be in the way.

The inside units throttle themselves to match demand very nicely, and most of the time you won't even know they're running. But when they first come on, or if you choose to run them in High-Power mode or if it gets very cold or very hot, you'll know that they're doing the job they are suppose to do. You'll hear a bit of blower sound and you'll feel the air being circulated.

For this reason you probably will not want them to be blowing right where you'll be hanging out a lot, like for instance the couch if you watch TV, or your favorite chair, or a computer or writing desk, or your bed.

Also not so good right next to a stove, due to all the moisture and grease vapors.

I thought about this one for quite a while, and for me it was a compromise, but a pretty good compromise.

I ended siting my outside unit on the side of my house that gets morning sun (good), where snow drifts are rare (good), out of afternoon sun (good), next to the front door (bad), on the front of the house that is visible from the sidewalk (bad), behind an evergreen bush (good).

My inside unit is close enough to the outside unit that I didn't need an extended line set (good), it is located such that it doesn't blow directly on a 'zone of relaxation' (good), but because of the architectural considerations, I was not able to get it over a door or window (bad).

Such are the choices of life...

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker

AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, diy, heat pump