EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-12, 09:19 PM   #11
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

PS. So far, all materials on this project are %100 recycled!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 09:47 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Looks pretty good Ben!

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 02:23 AM   #13
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

That is nifty, good job. Now for some sleep !
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 08:16 AM   #14
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

(Now the next morning....)

Success! The child did not wander off in the night. She woke up once. My wife took her to the living room for ten minutes to let her fall asleep on the sofa, and then put her back in bed.

Seems like the Dutch Door is off to a good start in terms of serving as an effective baby gate!

Old 10-12-12, 10:54 AM   #15
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

one quick suggestion. Since the top half is in the kids room, I would put a hook in the wall to hold that half open. Don't want any pinched fingers.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 11:55 AM   #16
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
put a hook in the wall
Yeah, my wife and I talked about that.

So far the Little Girl hasn't been playing with the top half of the door. I was a little concerned about finger pinching, but it's really about the same risk as her just opening and closing a normal door. (Except perhaps for novelty?)

I think if she is fiddling with it, we'll add a hook and eye.

Old 10-12-12, 05:48 PM   #17
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'd consider it somewhat worse risk, as the vertical edge of the door there is no leverage, but closer to the hinges there is. I've seen kids do this with cabinates but those doors were much lighter.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 06:50 PM   #18
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I've seen the damage these types of scissor pinching actions can do to little fingers. An eye hook is cheap safety.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 08:02 PM   #19
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Did a little more work on the Dutch Door today.

I dug through my garage and found the box of misc cabinet hardware. In it was a little brass knob latch device. I used it as the thing to connect and disconnect the top and bottom of the door to each other.

I also installed a standard door stop on the bottom (the original door never had a door-stop with it.)

For the top half of the door, I designed a magnetic catch. When the top is open all the way, it sticks to the wall and won't accidentally swing back. It's kept totally out of the way, and allows you to just use the lower part of the door as a baby gate.

I built the magnetic catch from a wine cork, drywall screw, magnet, washer, and wood screw.

I ran the long drywall screw through the cork, and then into the top corner of the door. The head of the screw is counter-sunk, and the magnet stuck to the head of the screw. I then put the head of the OTHER screw on the magnet and swung the door against the wall to mark where the washer would go.

I put the screw into the wall through the washer.

When the top of the door is open all the way, the magnet pulls against the washer mounted to the wall, and holds the door open. The extra bit of cork sticking up around the magnet cushions the door striking against the washer.

From outside the room, an adult can pull on the top half of the door and quietly shut it.

A hook and eye would hold the door top open securely, but couldn't be easily undone from outside the room. Nor would it "automatically" grab and stop the door top.

I also used some wood filler to cover my less-than-masterful joinery on the top cross piece of the lower half of the door, and over the minor hole pressed into the door from when I was transporting it. Hopefully, with a coat of white paint, nobody will even notice all the myriad of small imperfections!

When I do the painting, I'll paint that washer to match the wall color. Don't think I'll paint the cork though!

Old 10-12-12, 09:50 PM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Now that is slick

And like you said free.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby-gate, dutch door