EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-22, 07:54 AM   #1
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Siemens’ game-changing EV charger and solar adapter

I came across this and thought it might help someone here.

Siemens’ new home EV charger adapter ends need for electrical panel upgrades.

https://electrek.co/2022/07/27/sieme...arger-adapter/

Quote:
Siemens and Philadelphia-based ConnectDER have partnered to debut a groundbreaking simple home EV charger connector. Previously, homeowners who wanted to install EV chargers might have had to spend thousands of dollars to modify their home’s electrical panel. This new proprietary plug-in adapter will eliminate that cost and allow installation and connection in minutes.

Siemens’ game-changing EV charger adapter

ConnectDER makes meter collars (pictured above) that are installed between the home’s meter and the meter socket to create a single plug-and-play access point for distributed energy resources (DER) installation. In other words, the collars easily add new electrical service capacity for things like solar and energy storage.

Now ConnectDER will exclusively manufacture and supply a proprietary plug-in EV charger adapter to Siemens.

The new adapter will enable electric car owners to charge their EVs by connecting chargers directly through the meter socket, which is on every home. It provides more useable capacity by monitoring total load and controlling the EV circuit to ensure the total capacity rating is within the limit.

Bypassing the electrical panel reduces the EV charger installation cost by around 60 to 80% because electrical panel upgrades aren’t needed.

ConnectDER

https://connectder.com/

Quote:
Get solar, EVs, and energy storage quickly on the home and working seamlessly with the grid.

A cheap easy way to add solar and EV charging to a home.

It looks like a win-win to me…

>

redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 01:36 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I was just coming to post about this game changer.
Very cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scharge.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	9470  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 03:25 AM   #3
GnomeDome
Lurking Renovator

Agreed, very cool. I think most importantly, it is making the transition process SIMPLER and easier.
GnomeDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 08:49 PM   #4
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Not a new thing really just a new application for it. Those taps have been around for years but rarely used and often electric companies don't like that kind of stuff.

They also don't work on all meter bases. That band clamp style isn't used in allot of the country. Much of the country uses the type where the meter is plugged in then the cover closed and a tamper tag put on the loop. These bases are common because it makes disconnecting power to a house easy and fast in an emergency. Just snip the tag and you can pop the meter in seconds.
Now that said current code for new builds requires a 200 amp disconnect between the meter and the panel which negates the need for the easy to access meters.

I can see some electric companies not allowing those on their meters though. They will claim it makes it easier to steal electricity. Here they won't allow meter base breaker combo panels because they think the customer will steal power with them... I can also see them calling it a double tap on the meter which some allow and some don't. Gotta remember there are no rules or codes for how electric companies do their wiring unlike everyone else. They make it up as they go along and do it how they want to.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 12:02 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Wouldn't it be easier to tap into an existing 240V circuit? Would just need to add an extra breaker (e.g. a DIN rail type in an enclosure) for adding solar or an automated switch to disconnect the existing load for an EV charger.

There's also an EV charger that's designed to integrate with solar.
Old 08-13-22, 07:13 PM   #6
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to tap into an existing 240V circuit? Would just need to add an extra breaker (e.g. a DIN rail type in an enclosure) for adding solar or an automated switch to disconnect the existing load for an EV charger.

There's also an EV charger that's designed to integrate with solar.
You can't tap into an existing circuit. It has to be a dedicated circuit for charging a car. Now over in europe or Aussie land I dunnow. They do some sketchy stuff there.
Old 08-13-22, 08:14 PM   #7
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
You can't tap into an existing circuit. It has to be a dedicated circuit for charging a car. Now over in europe or Aussie land I dunnow. They do some sketchy stuff there.
If the concern is overloading the circuit, the automated switch would prevent that by only allowing the original load or EV charging to operate, not both at once.
Old 08-13-22, 08:30 PM   #8
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
If the concern is overloading the circuit, the automated switch would prevent that by only allowing the original load or EV charging to operate, not both at once.
The charger (glorified extension cord) has no idea how much current is being pulled by other devices on the same circuit. Hence why NEC requires a dedicated circuit for car chargers.
The battery charger is just another load on the circuit.
Old 08-14-22, 11:06 PM   #9
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Hence the addition of the switch to automatically turn off the other load if the EV charger is supplying power.
Old 08-15-22, 08:37 AM   #10
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Hence the addition of the switch to automatically turn off the other load if the EV charger is supplying power.
So you now have to come up with a monitoring system with a relay to shot off a load when the charger is running. Why overcomplicate it as well as not doing it according to code and common sense. Just run another 220 circuit from the panel. Most panels are in the garage already and a few feet of wire a breaker and a receptacle are less than $100 and you won't have any issues.