EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-13, 12:03 PM   #31
thumperoo
Lurking Renovator

You'll notice that those turbotec coil-in-coil have the outside tube in steel and the inner "swirled" copper tube. The refrigerant is not in the copper inner tube - its between the two tubes - better heat transfer. And they're probably cheaper, less hassle than fabricating annealed copper within pex. $32 !!!!

thumperoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 12:23 PM   #32
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I actually ordered the 1.7 ton version for extra oomph. Not much extra $ over the 1 ton. Unfortunately shipping was about the same as the item, even shipped ground, I'll post when it arrives.

Edit : this one https://surpluscityliquidators.com/v..._TON_COAX_COIL

$80 Shipped, I didn't know such a ting was available for purchase, otherwise I'd have bought one a while back.

Last edited by dremd; 07-04-13 at 01:01 PM..
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 12:31 PM   #33
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Sorry, I didn't see that the 'working fluid' was refrigerant... therefore no galvanic problems.

However, the 5/8" water input seems restrictive, so more pump power might be required to achieve the water flow to reach 12,000 BTU/hr.

Acquario made his own HXs using ABS pipe for the shell and multiple copper coils for the refrigerant. His water input & output were sized large.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-05-13 at 12:39 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 01:17 PM   #34
thumperoo
Lurking Renovator

There's probably more restriction in take-up pipe and pump to hxr than whole of hxr. Our Trane 24000 BTU/hr unit has 3/4" inlet/outlet that reduce to the similar hxr with 5/8" water connections. The Trane application charts state between 4-7 feet of head thru unit for flow rates of 3.5 - 5.0 GPM. No worries there. Scaling, mineral deposits and bayou crud may prove problematic over long run.
thumperoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 01:34 PM   #35
Daox
Administrator

Just put in fittings so you can isolate and flush the exchanger and you'll be fine. This is recommended for on demand water heaters and seems to work quite well for them. I did this when I installed mine:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...-heater-4.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 02:08 PM   #36
dremd
Need More Eco

Agreed on Valves, I'm planning on doing pretty much exactly as your tankless is setup so I can flush both directions with city water.
I'm planning on running a very very corse sediment filter (about window screen size) that I happen to have left over (from random water recovery project) between the well and the pump to reduce the sediment load.
Old 07-05-13, 03:31 PM   #37
dremd
Need More Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
However, the 5/8" water input seems restrictive, so more pump power might be required to achieve the water flow to reach 12,000 BTU/hr.

-AC
What GPH / GPM would you recommend for a 8k Compressor with that exchanger? I had 500 GPH on the mind, but I have no idea where I got that ida from.
Old 07-05-13, 05:36 PM   #38
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

A little bird told me 200 gallons per hour per ton is your ballpark rate. The way the practical hackers do it is to start the unit from a hot indoor ambient (hot, summer day after 2pm) temperature, wait 15 minutes, then feel the condenser and output stream. Adjust your flow control for warm, but not hot, output temp (around 100-110 degF). Discharge pressure should be below 250 psi for r22 or r290. The little bird told me 200 psi is normal.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:15 PM   #39
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
What GPH / GPM would you recommend for a 8k Compressor with that exchanger? I had 500 GPH on the mind, but I have no idea where I got that ida from.
I got 'bit in the butt' by having too much resistance to fluid flow in my loop field. I learned the hard way that given enough pump power, you can force enough water through your system to make it yield enough heat... but there is a price to be paid in the pumping energy. A properly designed loop, with minimum resistance (AKA: head) will require less pumping power. Therefore the entire system will be more efficient. I ended up digging up some pipe and splitting my loop filed in two loops in parallel, to reduce my pump power loss to one quarter of what it was previously.

I do realize that you are doing a pump and dump, so you don't need to contend with the relatively complex field like I had... and your pumping power will surely be less.

But if you haunt the Taco Pump pages, there you will find the tables and formulas you need to calculate the head loss of your system, based on pipe diameter, pipe length, fluid velocity, fluid viscosity, and the number and size of any restrictions in your system (I believe that the 5/8" tube entrance may be a restriction).

BTW, the flow rate rule of thumb fro GSHP is 3 gpm per Ton... and as a rule of thumb it is just the first-cut estimate, and not the final design criteria.

-AC
Old 07-12-13, 05:02 PM   #40
dremd
Need More Eco

The coax coil arrived!

Significantly heavier and more solid than I expected. It appears to be never used, and of high quality, I'm very happy with it. If I didn't have someone in the camp right now I'd pull the 10k unit apart, remove the condenser and replace it with this shortly, however, in current weather all A/C's are needed to re-cool the camp after allowing it to warm while they are away at work. So this will have to wait until mid 80's return.

Very good news, my TDI swap runs, so I can put some effor in to water plumbing+ pumping.