EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-11, 01:01 AM   #1
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

Default low-e window damage...anyone have the web reference?

Sorry about posting this here, but I couldn't think of any other place to ask.
There is a thread here somewhere which a contributor spoke out about low-e windows. It was referred to another site that had a detailed discussion, including a youtube video of a newscast that covered the story. Basically a low-e window distorted, turning it into a magnifying glass and warped vinyl siding of a neighbor.

I've been trying to locate this youtube video, but haven't had any luck. I just watched it a week ago, not sure why I can't find it now. Anyway, sorry about the off topic.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 09:57 AM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Any window can do that, it wouldn't happen just because of low-e glass, the solution is not to wrap your house in plastic.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 10:45 AM   #3
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Any window can do that, it wouldn't happen just because of low-e glass, the solution is not to wrap your house in plastic.
I'm asking because I have low-e windows in my dining room that face East. A couple of the middle panes have a center distortion. In the mornings we cant hardly enjoy breakfast as the table heats up quickly. 12 years ago when the house was built I don't recall the room being that warm. Opening the window cools quickly so it makes me wonder about the lensing effect.

Last edited by Travis; 06-22-11 at 12:23 PM..
Old 06-22-11, 11:24 AM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Low-E glass has less solar gain because it reflects some of the heat out, this is why it's not ideal for south facing windows if your goal is solar gain and you have good roof overhangs so if you were to replace your low-e glass with regular non coated glass your dinning room would get even warmer, the advantage is that low-e glass reflects heat back in and this is an advantage in the winter.
My info on solar gain from the two types of glass came from an environmental engineer that I used to work for who ran all the comparisons in choosing the best windows for his own house.

the issue with a window softening and distorting the siding of the house next door is due to the window becoming distorted in to a slight concave mirror and putting a focused beam of light on the house next door, this would not have an affect of turning the window in to a lens tho because for glass to work as a lens it has to vary in thickness.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 11:30 AM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Here's the video I posted before:
Energy Efficient Windows Melt Vinyl Siding - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

The Low-E glass reflects light Before it gets into your home. Keeping it cooler inside.
But, that sunlight has to go somewhere.. If you live next door, good luck..

Hey, here's one without Low-E.. Just concave windows..
Man Finds Windows Melt His House - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

Easy cure if too much sun is getting into a room: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...n-project.html

Last edited by Xringer; 06-22-11 at 11:41 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 12:21 PM   #6
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

What would happen if the distortion were convex instead? Would that have the opposite effect, increasing heat into the interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Low-E glass has less solar gain because it reflects some of the heat out, this is why it's not ideal for south facing windows if your goal is solar gain and you have good roof overhangs so if you were to replace your low-e glass with regular non coated glass your dinning room would get even warmer, the advantage is that low-e glass reflects heat back in and this is an advantage in the winter.
My info on solar gain from the two types of glass came from an environmental engineer that I used to work for who ran all the comparisons in choosing the best windows for his own house.

the issue with a window softening and distorting the siding of the house next door is due to the window becoming distorted in to a slight concave mirror and putting a focused beam of light on the house next door, this would not have an affect of turning the window in to a lens tho because for glass to work as a lens it has to vary in thickness.
Old 06-22-11, 12:30 PM   #7
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
12 years ago when the house was built I don't recall the room being that warm.
Yesterday was the summer solstice, that means the sun will be at it's most
extreme summer positions with the longest period of daylight.

A few weeks before and after June 21 are likely to be the perfect time
frame to notice unusual heating solar effects, that aren't normally seen at other times..

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote