EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-14, 04:19 PM   #11
stevehull
Steve Hull

I do buy LEDs, but only for locations/applications where getting there to replace a CFL would be a big pain in the ***.

Way, up on my barn eves is one such location ~ 30 feet off the ground. The extended eve of the barn roof at the peak also makes it tough to replace these from the barn roof.

I sure hope I get the number of hours that made me buy these . . . .

Steve

Old 01-21-14, 06:12 PM   #12
Incidental Damage
Indidental Damage

In the past year I've bought several LEDs - 2 x 7W dimmable PAR 30s, 2 X 5W and 1 x 7W from Chinese suppliers on ebay. Of those, the failure rate is now ~75%. Never again.
I have others I bought from more reputable sources and with proper warranties - they're still going fine, so far; although they were three to four times the cost, if they actually last the expected/claimed lifetime, the cost will be trivial.
Incidental Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:03 AM   #13
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incidental Damage View Post
In the past year I've bought several LEDs - 2 x 7W dimmable PAR 30s, 2 X 5W and 1 x 7W from Chinese suppliers on ebay. Of those, the failure rate is now ~75%. Never again.
I have others I bought from more reputable sources and with proper warranties - they're still going fine, so far; although they were three to four times the cost, if they actually last the expected/claimed lifetime, the cost will be trivial.
A couple of things with LEDs and parts in general. If you get a genuine Omron LED, for example, you can expect it to last. Right now there is a major influx of counterfeit parts and many of the manufacturers and suppliers are warning of the problem. Compound this with other counterfeit circuit parts, poor designs and inadequate cooling and you have a good chance of early failure rates.

So, bottom line, buy from a reputable seller, you'll pay more but get a 'real' light.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:27 AM   #14
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I second the suggestion to buy name brands from a legitimate dealer. I have some LED bulbs going on 10 years of 6 to 10hours a day and are still going strong. Another good use is for outdoor lighting. My CFL on the porch didn't light quickly or well when the weather was cold (below zero F) but the LED uses less energy and is just as bright, and comes on instantly no matter the weather. Going on its 4th year with no problems.

Any one else have problems with radio interfernce with LEDs?
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:02 AM   #15
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We began switching to LEDs when MR16's were about $30 each. Now with the bulbs at less than $10 and many places will give rebates to cover part of that, they make even more sense. The daily energy saving is great as is the long life of the bulbs.
Tony
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:35 PM   #16
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Some quick buying tips:

-If the product costs $10 each at a chain store, don't expect to find the same thing on ebay new for much less. those $3 knock-offs ain't the same.

-If the bulb looks like a pineapple or a corncob, don't buy it.

-If the specs say 100 year lifetime, don't buy it.

-If the specs have no UL listing, don't buy it.

The vultures are circling on ebay and amazon and the like due to the hype and high profit margins of their "me too" products. If you got snookered into the trap, don't blame the entire industry. Just buy something you can return locally next time.

The inverter-driven fluorescents were the same way with RFI / EMI when they first came out. The state of the art is advancing quickly in the LED lighting realm today, so I imagine in a few years these problems will pretty much disappear.

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-23-14 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 12:07 PM   #17
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Elektor Magazine has a 10w LED replacement design for Halogen's. I don't know how feasible it is but worth a look at.

LED’s Replace that Halogen Lamp - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

Rob
Old 01-23-14, 01:20 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Those bulbs could have 100lm per watt or even better as i found a spec sheet on its Rebel LED bulb, many are well over 100lm per watt all the way up to 200llm per watt.

LUXEON Rebel

LUXEON Rebel White LEDs | Philips Lumileds Lighting Company
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 04:09 PM   #19
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Those bulbs could have 100lm per watt or even better as i found a spec sheet on its Rebel LED bulb, many are well over 100lm per watt all the way up to 200llm per watt.

LUXEON Rebel

LUXEON Rebel White LEDs | Philips Lumileds Lighting Company
Interesting, I'm impressed with some of the efficiencies!

Rob
Old 01-23-14, 05:10 PM   #20
stevehull
Steve Hull

Is anyone aware of replacement LED bulbs for travel trailers (5'th wheels)? My son lives in one of these while in grad school and it is full of these tiny incandescent bulbs that have a base much like that of the bulb in a car brake light.

The bulbs have a glass bulb about the size of a large acorn. The base has two small cylindrical prongs sticking out sideways that allow it to be inserted into a receptacle and when twisted, it locks in place. The insulated base has a center spot for one conductor and the brass base shell is the neutral.

In any case, they burn out quickly, are incredibly hot to the touch and are expensive at the RV stores.

Because they are small, an LED replacement would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Steve