EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-15, 08:04 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the tips JRMichler. I knew the tar board would be a pain to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 02:16 PM   #12
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Subscribed.

Is the sale still on? Did you get enough for the ceiling as well?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 08:23 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Nope, its not on sale anymore.

I did not get enough insulation for the ceiling. I have enough for the walls at this point. The ceiling is a whole different project. There is no venting at all in the roofing, and I don't want to bake the asphalt shingles come summer time. I also want to incorporate a similar type attic fan setup like I have in my house. It should work even better in the garage since the ambient temperature will be lower. Insulating the walls will be a large enough project for now. I'll keep an eye out for drywall and/or other materials for insulating the ceiling though.

&
Old 11-06-15, 08:57 AM   #14
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Glad to hear you are doing this. For those of us who do lots of work in garages in cold climates, it's pretty important.

One thing I've found with many projects is the whole "low-hanging fruit" or "diminishing returns".

Often the cheapest, simplest thing gives you the biggest improvement.

In my garage, I can see daylight through the walls. At my parent's place, my Dad has a shop on the back of his garage. It's pretty basic construction, but has insulated 2x4 walls. The difference in workspace comfort is HUGE.

Another thing at my Dad's place is that he insulated the floor. It's a plain concrete slab. The cold concrete floor would just SUCK the heat right out through your feet. He laid down sleepers and then put down some foam. (I don't remember exactly how much. This was many years ago. I think it was a single layer of 3/4".) Then he put down a plywood floor over the top of the foam. The before and after difference was amazing.

Maybe something for the future for you, Daox. For now, just get up that pink fiberglass and plastic.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-06-15)
Old 11-10-15, 09:45 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

So I've been cleaning my garage the past few days. Holy cow, how did I get so much junk! And, why am I so reluctant to get rid of said junk? Haha... Its certainly a time consuming process.

&
Old 11-12-15, 03:38 PM   #16
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

I notice no photos of the sorting progress.

It's OK -- I'm embarrassed at the amount of junk in my garage too.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 08:46 AM   #17
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

Ok I hope im not tooo late to chime in but insulation is where you want to spend your money. Heat rises so you want to get at least an R21 or higher in your ceiling then your walls but R11 will do but only if it wasnt a crappy batch. I always stay away from R11 in favor of R13 (really for the price deference its worth it even though its a couple of rs') because of how shotty R11 can be made but seeing as you already bought it if you have the room in the walls double it up. trust me you cant over insulate just under ventilate.

LJKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote