EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 04-10-13, 10:10 AM   #1
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Question How much is it to build a new house?

I'm aware of the ambiguousness of the question, but im our house hunting, I'm beginning to think new construction might be the way to go. I just have no clue how to estimate a structure with say 4 walls and 2 floors... Any help on how to figure a price in new construction?

Old 04-10-13, 10:48 AM   #2
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The land is the biggest expense first. Once you have that you can estimate by the square foot size you want, times the average cost per square foot in your area. It varies widely by location. Get an idea by looking at local real estate ads.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 11:12 AM   #3
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

Before I spew all the information I have collected over the 2 years I have been looking at houses, I have to ask... What is stopping you from buying a house? Are you working with a good realtor? If you aren't yet it would be in your best interest to find one... It took my realtor about 2 days to do what I couldn't in 2 years!

One of the things I have considered was building. There are several options you can explore. I will give you basic information about each.

Modular homes - Are homes that basically arrive in preassembled parts on trucks. The home is basically bolted together in large pieces. Most homes you buy from contractors with prepared floor plans use modular home pieces.

Pros -
Home is built quickly
Cheaper than custom homes
Some customization options available

Cons -
Typically you have to pay everything up front which can be bad if you were counting on moving in right away.

Prebuilt houses - Typically houses that are built for an investment person or firm (people that basically buy a large piece of land then develop it into a neighborhood).

Pros -
Ready to move in
many times house warranty is included
may already be furnished in some cases

Cons -
pricey for what you get (you are paying for convenience)
cookie cutter floor plans

Custom builds - There are 2 ways you can do this... First is to hire someone to coordinate everything. This is typically what you do when you go to a business. They can do everything from finding the land to laying the last brick. Convenient but a lot of hands to pay. The other way is to go the DIY approach. You go to an architect that can put the plan in your head on paper so people you hire to build can understand what to do. This can save a massive amount of money and allows you to pick and choose who to hire for each task. However you need to think of everything... from permits to rescheduling. There is a lot of stress but in the end you literally get exactly what you want.

Pros -
You get exactly what you want

Cons -
expensive
wait time for construction
financing can be tricky

Basically I looked into new homes and options but quickly discovered it wasn't for me. You should be able to get a cookie cutter small modular house in the 120's. Keep in mind you still need to pay for the land it goes on. Also keep in mind YMMV a lot depending on location, companies and other factors.

Hope that helps you, and don't give up on the house search. New housing will always be there... you might find that perfect home that needs little work or none at all.

razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote