Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-13, 06:56 AM   #1
cbearden
Helper EcoRenovator

Default PEX for cooling sub-floor

while our new house is under construction, they're currently working on building our 2nd floor. I have an opportunity to install PEX under the flooring of the 2nd floor, for possible cooling in the future. I already have our radiant floor installed in the slab on the 1st floor, so our equipment for circ water in this system will already be there. And I'm eventually going to try out AC Hacker's GSHP later on. I was thinking, why not go ahead and install PEX for possible cooling later on? I'll have temp sensors hooked up for it. And I bet I can also get some moisture sensors installed along the pex as well, to detect moisture, dew point, to shut the cooling down at a certain level.
I've been using 1/2" pex spaced 12" apart for heating our slab.
And our 1st and 2nd floor is roughly about 900 sq ft.
I was thinking that just having the plain pex circulating cooler water in-between floors like that, would take away some of the heat during the summer. But I don't know much about the numbers for the cooling side of things.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how I need to do the calculations and best way to install this?

cbearden is offline   Reply With Quote