EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-17, 11:00 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Argon filling windows?

Has any one tried filling windows that came from the factory filled with air or nitrogen and replacing it with argon?

I already have the equipment, argon and a purge regulator for back purging stainless steel pipe I weld. So it would cost almost nothing for me to do.

The only problem I see is sealing the fill holes which would come in from the side good enough so the argon can't get out.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 10:05 AM   #2
bmxeroh
Helper EcoRenovator

I can't decide if you are a spam account or not. Your posting patterns are odd and only seem to tangentially relate to the original post.

Anyway OP,

I'd give it a try. Particularly if it's a window you'd otherwise have to replace. I did some googling and there doesn't seem to be much in the DIY space for refilling windows, but I found that some companies are starting to offer this as a service. There isn't anything that can't be sealed with enough silicone. I've used it before as a self sealing membrane for hypodermic needles, seemed to work well and seems like a similar process could be used here. If I'm not mistaken the goal isn't to actually pressurize the window in any significant manner.
bmxeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 07:45 PM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Yeah the one large custom order window I bought for the living room was argon filled. I think it cost an additional 30 some dollars.
I use 120 cubic foot argon bottles. If I used 1 cubic foot per small window that would cost me less than $1 in argon.
The problem with using silicone is the silicone inside the window won't cure because there is no oxygen.

I guess I will just have to drill one, purge it, fill it, seal it and see what happens.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote