Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-08-14, 07:20 PM   #31
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmwxrules View Post
I'd like to see Menards carry them in store. Their prices usually are far lower then HD/Lowes...plus they run 11% off and other deals almost weekly. Not sure if they carry them online yet. Plus you can return just about anything should you have any issue.

I've been -10F or lower 19 times! this year so far! I'm thinking a mini split isn't going to work too well in my climate...without a good backup heat (wood?) and a TON of insulation (literally).
You are describing two divergent goals here. A "cheap", commonly available unit vs. a highly efficient unit that will delve into the sub-zero region. You may find one that claims both statements, but may not satisfy either. You get what you pay for.

If you are experiencing weather patterns like me, it's a very uncommon winter. Temperatures in the Ohio valley have been below average since Christmas. In Kentucky, it never stays this cold for this long.

Designing for the worst is going to cost extra, no matter how you do it. IMHO, you are better off spending more on insulation and infiltration issue remediation before you go all in on a heat pump. Or, you can just pump more heat in or out forever. Even with a ground source unit, the less heat load you have, the less you will spend on energy.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 06:30 PM   #32
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
You are describing two divergent goals here. A "cheap", commonly available unit vs. a highly efficient unit that will delve into the sub-zero region. You may find one that claims both statements, but may not satisfy either. You get what you pay for.

If you are experiencing weather patterns like me, it's a very uncommon winter. Temperatures in the Ohio valley have been below average since Christmas. In Kentucky, it never stays this cold for this long.

Designing for the worst is going to cost extra, no matter how you do it. IMHO, you are better off spending more on insulation and infiltration issue remediation before you go all in on a heat pump. Or, you can just pump more heat in or out forever. Even with a ground source unit, the less heat load you have, the less you will spend on energy.
I bought a woodstove in the past week. Probably put it in this spring, so no heat pump for me. I agree on the insulation. That pays off year round, even during the cooling season. Agree 100% on the pay for what you get. I grew up in a family that price was all that ever mattered, now i realize there is vast difference between a Hersheys and a Chocolove...

warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote