EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-15, 12:21 PM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Thanks for sharing your journey. You have 7.5 times more panels installed than you originally had and 2.5 more than I have now at roughly twice the capacity of mine, although mine isn't true south but rather southwest because my house wasn't built square to the cardinal directions and I went with a roof mount to get above fences and to avoid shade from the neighbors house if I went ground mount. Nice to see your 6.8kw system humming along.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-14-15)
Old 05-14-15, 02:26 PM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nice looking install. Wow you sure had to pay up for those older panels.
Thanks for sharing.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-14-15)
Old 05-14-15, 02:49 PM   #13
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

MN Renovator: I wanted to roof mount at first, but the wife stood firm. I'm glad she did. With the ground mount, on the few snow days we've had, I have a fiberglass 16' extension pole made for painting with a big carwash brush that fits the threaded end and allows me to stand on the ground and clear snow. Of course, when I reach to clear the top panels, I sometimes get the wear the snow when it slides off! Roof mounting would have meant it would have to melt off before it would power up again.

Pinballlooking: When I started, I wanted to buy more, but you can wipe out a big chunk of savings at $898.00 each, plus shipping, a few Enphase Inverters and another $800 in aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel. That little array cost well more than 1/3 of what the big array cost me, and the big array is 5.5 times solar nameplate capacity. I plan to expand to 10 kW when my 10 year TVA contract is finished. If I did it now, I'd loose the premium they contracted to pay me when I built this one and I'd get the current amount, if any. {I haven't checked.}
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
where2 (05-15-15)
Old 05-15-15, 06:35 AM   #14
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
MN Renovator: I wanted to roof mount at first, but the wife stood firm. I'm glad she did. With the ground mount, on the few snow days we've had, I have a fiberglass 16' extension pole made for painting with a big carwash brush that fits the threaded end and allows me to stand on the ground and clear snow. Of course, when I reach to clear the top panels, I sometimes get the wear the snow when it slides off! Roof mounting would have meant it would have to melt off before it would power up again.

Pinballlooking: When I started, I wanted to buy more, but you can wipe out a big chunk of savings at $898.00 each, plus shipping, a few Enphase Inverters and another $800 in aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel. That little array cost well more than 1/3 of what the big array cost me, and the big array is 5.5 times solar nameplate capacity. I plan to expand to 10 kW when my 10 year TVA contract is finished. If I did it now, I'd loose the premium they contracted to pay me when I built this one and I'd get the current amount, if any. {I haven't checked.}
Nothing like living in a house that pays you to live there!

One of these days I will do the same....
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to natethebrown For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-15-15)
Old 05-15-15, 08:50 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

I love the story and the pictures. Thank you for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-15-15)
Old 06-11-15, 04:29 PM   #16
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
It was commissioned on 12/17/12.
Great to see another success story, only wish more people could see what a terrific benefit PV is!

Wonderful job, thanks for sharing.

Rob

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (06-11-15)