EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search
 


Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-14, 08:59 AM   #41
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western Wisconsin.
Posts: 913
Thanks: 127
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Default

The Electrac has a weird SepEx motor tho and the Alltrax controller for those tractors does the reversing without a reversing contactor.

I regular SepEx motor controller doesn't work, not sure why.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:18 AM   #42
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator
 
Robaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Delhi, NY
Posts: 326
Thanks: 20
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The Electrac has a weird SepEx motor tho and the Alltrax controller for those tractors does the reversing without a reversing contactor.

I regular SepEx motor controller doesn't work, not sure why.
Is the motor DC, BLDC (brushless DC), AC, etc.?

OK, with out getting too technical in order to reverse a motor with a reversing controller like the Alltrax you need a circuit called an 'H' bridge. The problem with 'H' bridges is that you have to drive the upper 'N' type MOSFETs with a boost circuit because they won't turn on otherwise. So you need a boost circuit and then there is dead time because you can't have both sides on at the same time or you get a condition called "shoot through" which is basically a short in the circuit. All this has to work with the inductive kick back of your specific motor so you wind up paying for an expensive controller.

What I'm planning on doing with my Elec-Trac side steps all of that, we'll see when the circuit is finished this spring. I'll post it here so if others want to build it they can.
In your case with a reversing tranny and a motor that only has to spin in one direction, the circuit should be a piece of cake.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:48 PM   #43
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Most GE Elec-Trak drive motors are Separately excited, some are PM type.
This is the Alltrax controller that is recommended for the Elec-Trak with SepEx motors.

Electronic Controller - $418.00 : The Electric Tractor Store :: Elec-Trak Parts

With the manual and Wiring diagram.
I am currently doing a Alltrax conversion on an E15 tractor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controller_DCX_LRG.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	3905  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DCX_ET_Manual_fre.pdf (108.5 KB, 507 views)
File Type: pdf Elec-Trak Wiring Diagram.pdf (27.3 KB, 442 views)
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:01 PM   #44
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator
 
Robaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Delhi, NY
Posts: 326
Thanks: 20
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
Most GE Elec-Trak drive motors are Separately excited, some are PM type.
This is the Alltrax controller that is recommended for the Elec-Trak with SepEx motors.

Electronic Controller - $418.00 : The Electric Tractor Store :: Elec-Trak Parts

With the manual and Wiring diagram.
I am currently doing a Alltrax conversion on an E15 tractor.
Doug,
Doesn't matter.

Why throw out the 'baby with the bath water?' Let's say we use a microcontroller to 'dry' switch the motor direction using the relay from the ET, which should last indefinitely dry switching it. All we need to do then is PWM the field or armature with the same uC using a quadrature encoder as the throttle. The uC does all the work and programming it is what I do. The simplicity of the design goes way down.
I'm planning on building a couple of these for 50 to 75 bucks tops, if there's enough interest I may see about selling boards and programmed chips.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:06 PM   #45
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

The Alltarx reverses the Field polarity.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 05:11 PM   #46
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator
 
Robaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Delhi, NY
Posts: 326
Thanks: 20
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
The Alltarx reverses the Field polarity.
Right, and that requires an 'H' bridge circuit. See my explanation of 'H' bridges above and the complexity they add to the circuit.

The main thing we want to do is control the speed of the motor. The direction it turns is controlled by the transmission or the reversing relay, so why go through the complexity of the 'H' bridge, at several hundred dollars, to do what can easily be done with the original machine?

What we're doing is specializing and contouring the electronics to fit our application. Alltrax is making a unit to fit many applications, the problem is this multiplies the cost considerably.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 05:21 PM   #47
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Well if you can come up with a controller package for the Elec-Traks, I think they would sell.
When I say "package" I mean controller and pot box.

The biggest problem with the Alltrax conversion is it doesn't come with a pot box that fits the GE tractors as I found out. Your left to figure that out for yourself and it adds to the cost.
Some people want hand control and others want foot control.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 06:18 PM   #48
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator
 
Robaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Delhi, NY
Posts: 326
Thanks: 20
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
Well if you can come up with a controller package for the Elec-Traks, I think they would sell.
When I say "package" I mean controller and pot box.

The biggest problem with the Alltrax conversion is it doesn't come with a pot box that fits the GE tractors as I found out. Your left to figure that out for yourself and it adds to the cost.
Some people want hand control and others want foot control.
I'm setting it up with something called an optical quadrature encoder which I can setup as a foot or hand operated control.

Hopefully I'll have a small prototype in a week or two depending on what goes on around here. I have a motor sitting outside my electronics lab from an E15 (I think?) that I'll experiment on.

I'll post my findings.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:43 PM   #49
doogie48084
Lurking Renovator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mi
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Doug,
This is an amazing thread. I am impressed and very interested in seeing more. I am not much in the way of an electrician and have been following posts here, but yours has been one of the most impressive builds. Nice reconstruction on the tractor and nice paint job too. I love your efforts. I am Doug 2
doogie48084 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doogie48084 For This Useful Post:
dh1 (01-24-14)
Old 01-22-14, 07:50 PM   #50
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie48084 View Post
Doug,
This is an amazing thread. I am impressed and very interested in seeing more. I am not much in the way of an electrician and have been following posts here, but yours has been one of the most impressive builds. Nice reconstruction on the tractor and nice paint job too. I love your efforts. I am Doug 2
Thanks
You know the first one I did, I did it to see if I could.
The 2nd one I learned and tried to make it so it could do some work.

If anybody is thinking about doing there own conversion I say just do it.
If you don't try, you'll never know.

dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design