EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-11, 05:30 AM   #1
S-F
You Ain't Me

Default Inline fan for dryer hose

A fellow I work with some times yesterday told me that their dryer vent is pretty long so he installed an inline fan. He said his cloths dry in 1/2 the time now. Here the building code says that the vent can't exceed 20' and you subtract 5' for every 90° turn. Mine is probably about 10" and I have two 90¯ turns and it takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes to dry a load. So I'm thinking about putting a fan in the duct work. It's an electric dryer so I'm assuming I can put a relay in somewhere that will fire up the fan when the dryer is running. Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about this?

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 07:00 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

There are actual products out there that do just this.

Dryer Booster Fans

http://fantech.net/docs-resi/401456-dbf4xlt-install.pdf

Seems pretty simple to setup.

Or, were you thinking of going a DIY route?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 09:46 AM   #3
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm wondering if something is wrong with your dryer. Or was that suppose to be 10 feet not 10 inches. My dryer hose is about 6 foot with two 90degree turns, and most loads are dry in less that 35 minutes.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 10:02 AM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

drying time is also dependent on how wet the clothes are, what they are and how man of them there are as well as characteristics of the dryer. Some dry sensors stop at pretty much dry other goes until it's middle of the desert dry.

I get big variations in drying time between a load of baby clothes vs a load of towels.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 05:46 PM   #5
S-F
You Ain't Me

Well where to begin?

Thanks for that link Daox! I wasn't aware of such a product. That's what I'll probably end up with. If I can DIY for less than the $150 or so I'd like to though. Also the way that thing knows to fire up is by pressure. The reviews on Amazon often say that it continues to run after the drying cycle is over. I don't need to depressurize the basement any more! The boiler already does too much of that and the dryer only adds insult to injury.

My dryer is admittedly a POS. But it came with the house and I didn't have one before, so.... I have a nice new one that I picked up during a demo (the owners just said "take it all away!") but there was no flange on the back to hook a hose up to. I disassembled it to see how it worked and fit a piece on of some kind and in the process screwed it all up so it's on hold ATM. Oops.

My washer is a fancy front loading contraption that centrifugally removes the bulk of the water and it's one of the smaller ones available on the market. Actually there are only two on the market so small. So loads aren't too wet (all things considered) and they aren't too big. And I don't wash too many towels as we eat and live pretty clean so we don't get to gross (except me from climbing around in dusty attics and basements) and don't need to bathe all the time. Also I'm not a fan of how bathing ruins the acid mantle on the skin so I only bathe when it's needed.

Thanks for the input guys!

When I finished the basement I built a laundry nook under the stairs. Ironically, the dryer I got is a perfect match for the washer. So I'm going to put it on top of the washer. I'll need to move and extend ductwork when this happens. So a fan inline will really help.

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote