EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-14, 05:46 AM   #1
Maciek
Lurking Renovator

Default Proffesional software for solar system designs?

Hello,

I am new here and i would like to ask you - do you know any good software for solar radiation analysis? I was searching such a tool in web, but i found only few. The most interesting seems to be "Shadow Analysis" - tool for analyzing daylight conditions. Did you ever heard about it? Or maybe some one of you is using it already (if yes - could you tell me something about it; is it worth it's price)? Maybe you can also recommend me other professional designing tools for solar radiation analysis in this kind? I would be really grateful.

Regards,
Maciek

Maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 11:23 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek View Post
...do you know any good software for solar radiation analysis...
Your request is a bit broad.

Are you doing pure science?

Are you trying to determine if it is worth incorporating solar PV into your home?

Are you trying to build a home that is optimized for the typical insolation in your area?

Too many variables for an appropriate answer.

-AC
Old 01-25-14, 12:06 PM   #3
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

You should look at Polysun or T-Sol. Both have shade analysis and have modules for PV and thermal. There are other European programs available. A simple and free program is called RetScreen,

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/software-tools/7417
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
Maciek (01-27-14)
Old 01-27-14, 01:45 AM   #4
Maciek
Lurking Renovator

Yes, i would like to design most optimized kind of houses, according to insolation of choosen area (I am working in architect trade), but i also want to calculate gain from solar for my clients.
I will for sure check software reffered by you. Did you know anything about that software mentioned by me? - I am asking again cause it's look impresive and i would be glad to hear some opinions of proffesionals.
Thank you for all your answers!
Old 01-27-14, 05:38 AM   #5
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I have older versions of both T-sol and Polysun and I used to use them a lot. RetScreen is very popular around the world but shade is not a big part of it (that may have changed as I haven't used it for a few years)
Old 01-27-14, 05:55 AM   #6
Maciek
Lurking Renovator

I found 2 more:

Archelios PRO and Skelion Pro - have you ever heard about this software?

I would like to check demo's of all and pick best, mostly suitable for me. It will take some time to do it, but I like got best solution for all kind of problems, those connected with work too.

Which one in your opinion will be the best from all mentioned?
Old 01-27-14, 06:00 AM   #7
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I have not heard of these ones. The ones mentioned have worked fine for me so I did not go looking for others. They might be a better cost because Polysun, for sure, is not cheap.
Old 01-27-14, 03:31 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Yes, i would like to design most optimized kind of houses, according to insolation of choosen area (I am working in architect trade), but i also want to calculate gain from solar for my clients.
If this is what you are after, I think that a great program for you is the Passive House Planning Package (Also called "PHPP").

It takes almost everything into account: geographic location, house geometry, fenestration, orientation to the sun, thermal bridging, etc. etc.

It does not design the house for you, but it will give you a running calculation of your energy losses & gains. It's maximum heat-loss target is defined by the Passive House definition.

In other words, the house is sealed and insulated so that no heating system will be required, and the heat produced by normal human activity will supply the energy to maintain the house temperature to within a comfortable level all but the most cold temperatures that your house will be subject to.

As they say, the heat from a toaster could supply the make up heat. This is not to be taken literally, but the energy required would be so low that 1000 to 2000 watts of make up heat would suffice.

Last time I looked, the PHPP cost about $250 US.

-AC
Maciek (01-29-14), Mikesolar (01-27-14)
Old 01-29-14, 08:06 AM   #9
Maciek
Lurking Renovator

It's seems great. I will check it for sure. Thank you very much for your advice.
Old 01-29-14, 08:59 AM   #10
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
It's seems great. I will check it for sure. Thank you very much for your advice.
Something else to keep in mind is that 'standard' building practices will not achieve the specifications that the PHPP has calculated.

There are high-performance building techniques that must accompany a Passive House build, if that is what you are after.

From what I have been able to determine, for the most part, conventional building materials can be used, but they are used in a way that minimizes heat loss.

It seems that 'thermal bridging' is a problem that standard construction often overlooks, but avoiding thermal bridging is integral to Passive House construction. I discovered that ignoring thermal bridging can reduce insulation effectiveness by 18%, that's a big loss.

Infiltration reduction is attacked with a vengeance in Passive House construction. A properly built Passive House must use mechanical ventilation to supply fresh air, and all fresh air enters through a heat exchange ventilator.

Finally, there are very few windows and doors that will meet Passive House standards, and those that are certified are very expensive.

Since the PHPP gives you a running total, you have the option of designing around super efficient doors & windows.

The up front costs to build a Passive House is high, but considering that a high efficiency heating system is not required, the total up front costs are only modestly higher.

You pay now or you pay later.

-AC

Tags
solar radiation/software