EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-17, 04:51 AM   #531
t1mtnntgn
Lurking Renovator

like topic )

t1mtnntgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 12:30 AM   #532
DMull
Lurking Renovator

That's nice. I would advice you to go with the professional consultation for better advise.
DMull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 01:51 PM   #533
hueman
Lurking Renovator

AWESOME!!!
I am making the twin core (or dual core) system myself, borrowing lots of ideas from here! Thank God I came across this thread as I was also thinking of other ways which have all been addressed here and the fact that the simplest method - SOLID PP as kostas calls it - is actually the most efficient, has made my day as I had already set out to do it this way
THANKS to you all, I will post updates with photos as I progress with my contraption
hueman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hueman For This Useful Post:
kostas (11-11-17)
Old 01-07-18, 07:18 AM   #534
Rebuilder
Lurking Renovator

This thread is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read. I just had to join even if to just thank you Kostas for your epic build. That video is amazing! The craftsmanship is remarkable!
Rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebuilder For This Useful Post:
kostas (01-09-18)
Old 01-09-18, 03:22 AM   #535
kostas
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks Rebuilder, hope my effort helps everyone out there
kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 09:04 AM   #536
meelis11
Lurking Renovator

Hi,
This topic is awesome! I just registered because this topic so I can answer here.

I have read all this topic planned to make DIY HRV already 1.5years ago, I have bought motors and RECAIR heat exchanger core (160 model, 300mm thick) and now I started to make box for it. I live in Estonia and it is cold country, february was mostly -10...-15 degrees celsius, peak was -25C at some nights.

Few questions to people who have done it already:
1) how you have resolved defrost - what strategy are you using? What options are available?
2) Is it best to put both motors in warm side (stale air out, prewarmed fresh air in)
3) Kostas - You made air humidifier, do you still use it? Please give more details about it - does it help, are there any issues?

Meelis

Last edited by meelis11; 03-14-18 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: few typos fixed
meelis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 11:08 AM   #537
kostas
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi Meelis,

glad we inspired your project!
You should avoid of course frosting. You have few options for this, either you stop the ventilation when exhausting air riches limit temperature, that is around 2-3 °C, or you reverse the flows so to heat up the frozen side of the exchanger. Alternatively you should preheat the incoming external air so to avoid freezing.
Both motors have to be at the warm side. In my case one motor pushes the air whilst the other pulls it.
As for the humidifier, I'm still working on it. It sure helps, as RH drops down to 25% when really cold outside, so humidification becomes mandatory. It is, though, a bit complicated to integrate it to the exchanger and the pipes, you have to be very careful not to have water drops around and water remains as the could form harmful mold.
Here's a couple of photos of the finished version. It is a completely stand-alone machine with it's own arduino board.
I'll post some data as soon as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diy humidifier Kostas.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	8204   Click image for larger version

Name:	diy humidifier Kostas 02.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	8205  
Old 03-23-18, 07:12 AM   #538
meelis11
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas View Post
Hi Meelis,

glad we inspired your project!
You should avoid of course frosting. You have few options for this, either you stop the ventilation when exhausting air riches limit temperature, that is around 2-3 °C, or you reverse the flows so to heat up the frozen side of the exchanger. Alternatively you should preheat the incoming external air so to avoid freezing.
Both motors have to be at the warm side. In my case one motor pushes the air whilst the other pulls it.
As for the humidifier, I'm still working on it. It sure helps, as RH drops down to 25% when really cold outside, so humidification becomes mandatory. It is, though, a bit complicated to integrate it to the exchanger and the pipes, you have to be very careful not to have water drops around and water remains as the could form harmful mold.
Here's a couple of photos of the finished version. It is a completely stand-alone machine with it's own arduino board.
I'll post some data as soon as I can.
How many mL/h that humidifier produces and do you get white dust layer around your house? I have read that could happen when you have hard water. Is it fundamentally similar than commercial ultrasonic humidifiers? Why you decided DIY solution - was that just cheaper solution (and you like DIY) or do you have some features that are unique?

About defrost - probably easiest is to turn off ventilator that pulls fresh air in when outgoing air is below 0 degrees celsius (or 2-4C, don't know best numbers, must experiment). When outgoing air temperature rises above 5C then turn ventilator on again. Some commercial HRVs use similar algorithm. I also have seen units where one ventilator is on cold side, they are not always in warm side, but it seems best to put them on warm side if design allows that.
Old 03-23-18, 07:55 AM   #539
kostas
Helper EcoRenovator

The steam production is approximately 300ml/h. It is too early to tell for the white dust problem, I also read about it in the web. We'll se next winter.
I did it myself spending roughly €50, whereas commercial products cost 7-10 times more!
The function is almost identical, the major difference is the steam production, which for those models is at least 500ml /h. And, of course, they have 2 years warranty
Anyway, at least for the time being, I'm not very satisfied with the results. I'm using it 24h/day for the last three days but the RH is stucked to 28%
I'll dig deeper and let you guys know.
Old 03-23-18, 08:04 AM   #540
meelis11
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas View Post
The steam production is approximately 300ml/h. It is too early to tell for the white dust problem, I also read about it in the web. We'll se next winter.
I did it myself spending roughly €50, whereas commercial products cost 7-10 times more!
The function is almost identical, the major difference is the steam production, which for those models is at least 500ml /h. And, of course, they have 2 years warranty
Anyway, at least for the time being, I'm not very satisfied with the results. I'm using it 24h/day for the last three days but the RH is stucked to 28%
I'll dig deeper and let you guys know.
How big is room what you try to humidify (commercial 300-350ml units are for 40-50m2 room max)? Maybe it is too small, you could add one extra humidifier disk.

Tags
erv, heat recovery, hrv