EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-04-13, 08:04 AM   #1
Thepprof
Lurking Renovator

Default hvac & heating

I'm totally new to HVAC. I've installed 2 minisplits (permitted, inspected and passed by the local inspectors) and maintained 7 personally owned units for about 7 years now. I took the local A/C courses after being screwed by two contractors in succession. This is the first time I've ran into a heating problem with a pure HVAC system. Found a blown fuse and now its up and running fine.. BUT ... How do I know that it is working efficiently. I can't even find a guideline for ball park opertating conditions. Yesterday here in VA. it was about 50 degrees outside. I had 150psi on the high side and 50 psi on the low side at the compressor. The temp on those lines were 126 deg / 58 deg F. inside differential was about 24 degrees. Are there some old fashioned ball park guidelines in this regard??? thanks

Thepprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 10:15 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepprof View Post
... How do I know that it is working efficiently. I can't even find a guideline for ball park opertating conditions. Yesterday here in VA. it was about 50 degrees outside. I had 150psi on the high side and 50 psi on the low side at the compressor. The temp on those lines were 126 deg / 58 deg F. inside differential was about 24 degrees. Are there some old fashioned ball park guidelines in this regard??? thanks
Quoting the temp and pressure specs would be useful if you specified what the refrigerant type was.

Also, what exactly causes your concern with the performance at this time?

Are tenants complaining?

Has you power bill increased inexplicably?

-AC
Old 03-04-13, 07:14 PM   #3
Thepprof
Lurking Renovator

Default sop for Hvac heating

I have a number of rental units and carry a nice Ir temp probe with me at all times. If I am in the house to change the filters which I do, I always check the temps and note them. This is a 10 year old R22 (`13Seer) system. 2 years ago I had a new airhandler installed with a txv (?) that was about 2 time the size of the original and the electric bill dropped substantially I have been to several schools, have my license but it is for my own use only. I do no commercial or outside work but have found that the classes though informative have little use or are not a substitute for on the job experience.. Actually dont the tempratures I liste give you a good idea of what the refigerant was? R410 pressures would have been much higher and I dont know of any legal substitutes that might be used, though I have tested systems using propane and had them working just fine...

Thepprof is offline   Reply With Quote