EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-09, 12:32 PM   #1
Axaday
Lurking Renovator

Default Has Anyone Bought from Power-Save.org?

My state is working on a 40% tax credit on solar panels and that with the Federal credit makes a Power Save 1K system an 11 year payout for me. So I want one.

They are much cheaper than a lot of places and say their stuff is good, but I'd like a second opinion.

Axaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 09:18 PM   #2
Bob McGovern
Lurking Renovator

I'm hoping you mean these folks and NOT these folks?

Interesting that California requires nominal 1kW system to use the CEC/PTC numbers rather than the 'peak' 1020W claimed by the non-California system. I hope you used the corrected values when calculating your payback?

I'm not familiar with the company or your siting conditions, but the first two questions to ask are always the same: where are you located, and how much electricity does your household use every day?

Eleven years RoI after incentives is about right for grid-tied PV in a 4-5 hr/day location, if your utility pays or credits at retail. What are the net metering laws in your state, and how cooperative is your utility company? Is the supplied GT inverter on their list of acceptable hardware?

If it were my money, I would buy name-brand panels. Some of the Chinese PV is good, some is outright dangerous: I've seen photos of a roof fire caused by manifestly defective Chinese panels. Consider this Sanyo-based system from the very reputable Affordable Solar company: Unlike the Power-Save system, it has a lot of the sneaky-expensive balance of systems included, like lightning protection, disconnects, cabling, etc. Most importantly, its inverter is rated for 2000W so you could add panels in the future without buying a new inverter. I'd lean toward something like this kit, then add a panel or two. Bet you come out ahead.

Bob McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote