EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-14, 05:19 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Mini-Split Longevity...

I think this is a worthy topic, so I started a thread.

I've had my Sanyo 9,000 BTU mini-split for about 4 or 5 years now, I've had no problem at all. It has reliably provided for my modest heating and cooling needs without problem.

I never did any maintenance of any kind at all, other than occasionally vacuuming out the dust filter and the charcoal filter. I do think that it is time to try and blow some of the dust & crud from the fins, both inside & outside.

But today I realized that the batteries in the remote were exhausted, as the mini-split was not responding to changes in demand.

I changed batteries and nothing happened... no display, no nothing.

Tried to contact Sanyo support, only to be redirected to Panasonic support. So I talked to the support person who was only able to supply one piece of support information, how to initialize the remote ("press ACL"). But she told me herself that she would never be able to supply any further support about my model... not especially reassuring.

It turned out that my problem was user error, and the problem was easily remedied, I only had to execute the remote initializing process, which consisted of pressing one button labeled "ACL" ... pretty simple, but not very intuitive.

After that unsettling experience, I searched out an finally found my documentation for the mini-split, and yes, "press button labeled 'ACL'" was there.

Then I realized how easily it would be for a simple remote to fail.

Along the way I found out that my remote is no longer being made, and there are no replacements available anywhere.

Apparently you can buy some kind of remote from Amazon that will provide partial functioning, but it won't provide all the niceness I have come to expect.

I don't think that it is reasonable to expect a "learning remote" to be able to serve as a substitute, because the frame of data that is sent to the heat pump is pretty complex... nothing like "channel up", "channel down", etc.

My Conclusions:
  • mini-splits are efficient, wonderful, reliable pieces of equipment
  • the documentation that comes with the heat pump needs to carefully archived
  • there is no reason to think that spare remotes will always be available
  • if you buy a mini-split, buy a spare remote and keep it in a bank vault
  • better yet, DIY your own heat pump and you'll KNOW what to do.

Best,

-AC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanyo Remote.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	4545