EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-15, 11:47 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Kume insulating curtains - DIY & inexpensive

Another find from Build it Solar. Kume has a simple website that shows what materials you need to build a curtain, and also a step by step DIY on how to build them, and how to install them. Can't ask for much more than that!

Looks like they even got an IR image comparison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	immaginehomepage.jpg
Views:	2573
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	5649   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2-3.jpg
Views:	2791
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	5650  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
MN Renovator (07-24-15), where2 (07-23-15)
Old 07-24-15, 06:49 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

After finding no sources of custom insulating curtains other than the really pricey honeycomb style and not really willing to pay the price for the upgrade, it is refreshing to see something like this because I've wanted something that insulates well throughout the year, blocks light and fits the window tightly.

This is especially important for my sun-facing bay window living room that has a projector. It's windows produce the most heat in the summer, lose the most heat in the winter, not quite the right angle for solar gain in the cold months but perfect in the summer *sigh*.

Right now I have cheesy wood-look levolor fat blinds that are low quality construction, heavy blinds, and falling apart. For some reason real estate agents tell people to install these in their houses for resale value, appearance, or something but they break strings, don't stay up without fiddling, and suck in general. They don't help in the winter or the summer as far as an energy standpoint is concerned. Apart from that, I'll need to replace my 30 year old wooden windows at some point and buying expensive custom drapes twice is out of the question if I only use them for a decade.

As soon as I have time to build these, might be September, or at least something based off the idea I'll be posting pictures.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 08:01 PM   #3
stevehull
Steve Hull

Yup, build just in time for winter!

Steve